Red tailed hawks

rachunter

They are obviously in breeding mode, just running 4 months late. I wonder if one of them lost a mate and this is a new relationship. The timing is all out of whack. My guess is they will use the nest next year. It may or may not be a new nest. They could be fixing up an existing one.  

i don't know how to age a hawk but this one seemed young it took it a while to figure out how to break and hold the branch it dropped the first one  then fumbled around with the second one before flying off.i can/do watch them all day.

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

They are obviously in breeding mode, just running 4 months late. I wonder if one of them lost a mate and this is a new relationship. The timing is all out of whack. My guess is they will use the nest next year. It may or may not be a new nest. They could be fixing up an existing one.  

If it has a red tail, it is an adult. However, in some raptor species, a bird may be able to breed before reaching adult plumage. Juvenile red-tailed hawks have a brown tail that has bands. The banding may not be visible from a distance. 

Curmudgeon, are you well versed in raptors?

I have a med sized grey/brown hawk that hangs around my property. Heavy woods.

I think he's too small to be a Goshawk -- though I do have a lot of gos around -- and he primarily eats small rodents, snakes, toads. I have seen him for two years (assuming it's the same bird) and he hasn't coloured up, so I don't think he's a juvenile red-tailed. 

Broad-winged?

Broad-winged is a possibility. Adults will have a distinctly banded black and white tail. Red-shouldered is another possibility. Adult red-shouldered will have a black tail with thin white bands. A Cooper's Hawk is medium sized and lives in forests but they don't favor cold blooded prey. They generally eat birds, occasionally small mammals. 

Of those 3, broad-winged is very likely to eat herps, though red-shouldered do too. You should have noticed the distinct black and white bands if it was a broad-winged. I attached a photo.

Sept 17_20060917_041 copy.jpg

Thanks. That may be it. I don't see any colour on the shoulders or upper body.

I was a little surprised by the prey. I had a large woodpile that he used to sit above and pick off mice, but I moved it so maybe he's now hunting the ponds. Kind of cool watching him tear a snake apart in a tree.  

Red tails eat  snakes, too...I have seen several of them do it...Of course, the red tails are so  voracious and I think they will take ANYTHING they can kill..  I have seen them attack adult woodchucks and an adult hen turkey, which was OPTIMISTIC  to say the least..

Edited by Pygmy