Hows your garden doing?...

growalot

8 hours ago, growalot said:

It's my understanding they are quite common in the down state,NYC area. How big are your trees and what type? My concern in wrapping and trying to insulate one would be rodents getting to them , nesting and eating the bark.

My trees right now are about 10-14 feet, but that's only because the last few winters caused them to die all the way back to the roots. They can grow 7-10 feet in one year as long as there is a normal amount of rain. I'm sure by the end of this year ill have trees no smaller than 14 feet. The good thing about figs is they produce best when heavily pruned. You can safely prune up to 50 percent of the tree with out adversely effecting yield (putting the tree in shock). I have not had any problems with rodents getting to them and I've never heard of them ever eating the bark of figs. Even back home where the rabbit population is high, they never ate the bark of a fig. As far as type I couldn't tell you what the English name for most of them as I have 4 different types. the purple figs are the most hardy, but my green figs are the sweetest. 

• Like 1

Blossom end rot...tomatoes need a lot of lime...there is a liquid lime you can use...there is a lot you can read up on....

Thank you grow. Read up and our issue is temps climbed fast, and getting hammered with rain. Few different sites recommend Tomato Rot Stop or equivalent. Just put a ton more slits in the plastic, and getting the treatment stuff.
Funny it can hit my pepper plants as well, but they are all fine.
Thanks again for the help grow.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice!................. mine haven't even come close to flowering yet... the vining plants are just starting to get growth. All the winter squash plants I bought are just sitting there getting flowers that fall off but the over wintered seed ones in the hay field are taking off also the ones in the compost...Corn looks great for going in so late...braccs are fabulous, pole beans are just starting to climb and they were one of the first things I planted...getting ready to try peas ,spinach, more lettuce again.  bush beans suck and I will replant this week. Beets and all greens are great. I am happy about my  peppers all the peppers are producing little peppers and I have picked the bananas already and all the tomato plants have tomatoes. My eggplants are still think about what to do...

Finally got to spend a couple hours weeding it today. The weeds were taller than the plants. But the soil is damp and moist as can be. Everything is doing good, even the watermelon plants are doing well. I'm hopeful lol. Grape tomatoes and zucchini are almost ready for picking.
9370bc1eb620d19713a605dc11396ed3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Everyone here is dealing with weeds and to be honest I almost never have to deal with weeds. One of the things that I always do is take my lawn clippings and spread it around the plants and anywhere that's bare dirt. That way is stops germination of seeds, keeps moisture in the soil for much longer, promotes beneficial fungi and serves as the best slow release fertilizer. Think about this, the Great Plains are some of the most fertile ground in the world and that's due to the vast grasslands that constantly have grass dying and decomposing. I've noticed my plants do much better since I've done it and my soil looks much darker through out the year and especially early spring. Best part is it's a once in 2 week application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/14/2017 at 1:48 PM, dbHunterNY said:

Peppers always seemed like late to take off. Seems this far north we don't get real hot to make them do really well earlier. I don't have a greenhouse to make that any different.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yeah they seem to be a late season crop and slow grower. When i lived in mississippi they grew so much better. I've heard that crushed eggshells mixed into the soil really help green peppers but never tried it.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:49 PM, dbHunterNY said:

it's disgusting how much water things like cantaloupe and watermelon take to do well.  i don't do either for that reason.

i had 3 small cantelope starters that didn't make it through early spring, but tried again and they're finally taking off. Thankfully this year we've had nothing but rain lol.

10 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Everyone here is dealing with weeds and to be honest I almost never have to deal with weeds. One of the things that I always do is take my lawn clippings and spread it around the plants and anywhere that's bare dirt. That way is stops germination of seeds, keeps moisture in the soil for much longer, promotes beneficial fungi and serves as the best slow release fertilizer. Think about this, the Great Plains are some of the most fertile ground in the world and that's due to the vast grasslands that constantly have grass dying and decomposing. I've noticed my plants do much better since I've done it and my soil looks much darker through out the year and especially early spring. Best part is it's a once in 2 week application

i've found with mature gardens a good practice is to round up the garden. Till it, then round up again before you plant. Really helps with the old seeds that are germinating below. 

i don't have a tow behind yard rake or a "bagger" for my mower. if i did, a thick bed of grass clippings would be a great idea.  i don't though and i'm not raking up a bunch by hand, therefore newspaper it is.  just have to keep people from throwing them away on me.

worked a little on the garden this weekend.  plants are growing like crazy.  peppers and zucchini are about to hit hard soon.  still pulling buds to the plants growing but can't keep up.  some peppers and zucchini got by me and were ready.  already had to add soil to keep the onions buried.

• Like 1

I use to do do the lawn clippings when we lived in town ...I use to use the goat barn cleaning and still sometimes use the chicken coop...but that has to compost a full year before hand...I also worked for the penny saver and they had "end rolls"  that they would give me. That and the shredded bundles...much better than the news papers I would collect and put down....thick mats of paper that would slowly decompose...the penny saver rolls had no ink. Also clean wheat straw, when it was cheap...open the bale and lay it down in slices over lapping them...Great around the vining plants ...I still buy a bail just to keep pumpkin and melons out of the dirt so worms won't burrow into them. One slice under each fruit

7 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah they seem to be a late season crop and slow grower. When i lived in mississippi they grew so much better. I've heard that crushed eggshells mixed into the soil really help green peppers but never tried it.

i had 3 small cantelope starters that didn't make it through early spring, but tried again and they're finally taking off. Thankfully this year we've had nothing but rain lol.

i've found with mature gardens a good practice is to round up the garden. Till it, then round up again before you plant. Really helps with the old seeds that are germinating below. 

No Need to spray when you put down grass clippings. You'd be surprised how much it helps. Maybe I have to pluck a weed now and again

I did this with the clippings as well. For moisture and to prevent future weed growth. I do this with food plots sort of as well. Using that duff layer or dead vegetation as a moisture barrier.. Works well, and helps me not have to til soil for plantings as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I did this with the clippings as well. For moisture and to prevent future weed growth. I do this with food plots sort of as well. Using that duff layer or dead vegetation as a moisture barrier.. Works well, and helps me not have to til soil for plantings as well.

Love it! It has proven to be a great tool for Dr. Grant in his food plots as well. One day when I have a property, I will be using the same technique as well

• Like 1