Hunting DEC Wetlands in Albany county

RyAn...

Hi I am new to the forum and am a young hunter I noticed some unmarked land in my local town and have walked it. I looked up a map on DEC and it showed the land as DEC wetland and I am having trouble finding if I can hunt the land with a bow or not. I just cant risk getting a ticket or loosing my bow. Thanks   

Yeah I did walk pine bush over by cook park in February in the snow and didn't even find one deer track did a little turkey hunting in a different area and talked to another hunter who told me there are a lot of deer hunters back there so I kinda gave up on the pine bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You hunted turkey in Albany Pine Bush?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Yes I hunted when I was 14 and 15 for deer and turkey in the area and I was able to get out west with a mentor in the nwtf and get a bird and deer

I know that area very well ,with out knowing the specific area you are asking about it's hard to say if you can hunt there or not . You could call the local dec office . 

If you need areas to hunt, grab you bow, head towards Albany on rt155 , the area by Ruth's automotive and off east lydiose road always seem to get some slammers taken. If you go off rt20,go to the end of Willow Lane, another good spot

I'm not 100% sure....but pretty sure you can't hunt labeled DEC wetlands. A lot of people own land with "DEC wetlands" on it, but they still own it. Your much better off just going to designated state land to hunt. I know some others have mentioned pine bush, but like you've heard already, it gets a bit of traffic. Not to mention all the talk I've ever heard about pine bush and never seen or heard of anyone taking a good buck from there lol. There's state land all around the city, will have to drive a little to get to them, but it's worth it to be legal. Check out partridge run state land. 4800 acres that has plenty of room for you to roam around on and hone your skills as a hunter. If I were you that's where I'd be going. Partridge run doesn't get much traffic at all if any at all during bow season, and the last few years there hasn't been many gun hunters either. If you'd like, PM me and I can give you some spots to try up there, I will draw out on the map where to go.

• Like 2

I know that area very well ,with out knowing the specific area you are asking about it's hard to say if you can hunt there or not . You could call the local dec office . 
If you need areas to hunt, grab you bow, head towards Albany on rt155 , the area by Ruth's automotive and off east lydiose road always seem to get some slammers taken. If you go off rt20,go to the end of Willow Lane, another good spot

Ok thx I'll do some more research in that area

I'm not 100% sure....but pretty sure you can't hunt labeled DEC wetlands. A lot of people own land with "DEC wetlands" on it, but they still own it. Your much better off just going to designated state land to hunt. I know some others have mentioned pine bush, but like you've heard already, it gets a bit of traffic. Not to mention all the talk I've ever heard about pine bush and never seen or heard of anyone taking a good buck from there lol. There's state land all around the city, will have to drive a little to get to them, but it's worth it to be legal. Check out partridge run state land. 4800 acres that has plenty of room for you to roam around on and hone your skills as a hunter. If I were you that's where I'd be going. Partridge run doesn't get much traffic at all if any at all during bow season, and the last few years there hasn't been many gun hunters either. If you'd like, PM me and I can give you some spots to try up there, I will draw out on the map where to go.

Thanks yeah I'm not big into the pine bush I also came out with about 7 ticks when I was back there but I'll look into it a little bit more. And what county is partridge run? And have u taken any deer from there?

Partridge run is in Albany Co, like they said another good spot with less traffic, but a further ride .  Black creek Marsh in Voreesville/Guilderland is another good spot ,that's in 4B if I recall and probably half the distance for you . I forget what DMU partridge run is . Your right about ticks in the pine bush , but I can attest to several slammers being taken from there .

That sound like the old Ann Lee pond area, 100% sure it's off limits unless I missed something I've heard people try to sneak in but DEC has been made aware of trespassers. I think the air port owns all that land, it backs up to the northway behind the old Desmond hotel. I'm sure we've all seen big bucks in there driving south on the northway 

That sound like the old Ann Lee pond area, 100% sure it's off limits unless I missed something I've heard people try to sneak in but DEC has been made aware of trespassers. I think the air port owns all that land, it backs up to the northway behind the old Desmond hotel. I'm sure we've all seen big bucks in there driving south on the northway 

Yes that is the area I have been walking and I've seen other hunters on there I was planning on hunting a marsh parallel to CBA and staying away from the airport

Yes that is the area I have been walking and I've seen other hunters on there I was planning on hunting a marsh parallel to CBA and staying away from the airport

Thanks for letting me know that wouldn't have been good ;)

Thanks for letting me know that wouldn't have been good

Tho I am not in Anna lee and I'm not by the airport but I will prob stay out just to stay safe I would rather be safe then sorry.

Welcome to the forum RyAn, glad you found us and it's always nice to have a young hunter join us!

I too, am almost certain that, that wetlands area is off limits for hunting. And I agree with Adkhunter1590, that Partridge Run is a great deer hunting spot to hone your skills. There are plenty of deer to be hunted. It's large enough to find your own "space" with trail cams and such if you want. It is a bit out of the way but well worth the effort to get there for the quality of the hunting experience you will have. I too will give you a spot or two up there, that have worked for me in the past. And with less hunters there every year, it will be as close to hunting "private" land as you can get in this area. Good to hear you have a strong desire to hunt! Feed it and hunt as much as you can! If I can help you, I will, as I'm close to the Albany hilltowns. Best of luck to you young man.

Welcome to the forum RyAn, glad you found us and it's always nice to have a young hunter join us!
I too, am almost certain that, that wetlands area is off limits for hunting. And I agree with Adkhunter1590, that Partridge Run is a great deer hunting spot to hone your skills. There are plenty of deer to be hunted. It's large enough to find your own "space" with trail cams and such if you want. It is a bit out of the way but well worth the effort to get there for the quality of the hunting experience you will have. I too will give you a spot or two up there, that have worked for me in the past. And with less hunters there every year, it will be as close to hunting "private" land as you can get in this area. Good to hear you have a strong desire to hunt! Feed it and hunt as much as you can! If I can help you, I will, as I'm close to the Albany hilltowns. Best of luck to you young man.

Thank you very much you don't need to give out your spots if you don't want to I'm just looking for an opportunity to find some deer that are huntable because I've been having trouble getting on them

That area is indeed off limits and patrolled heavily by police. There is a huge Tom that lives there, I thought some one poached him this spring but he returned just at the end of May. 
I see a lot of deer there too, I work right near the air port. 

Yeah I bet def not going in there now except to walk the dog and I've seen at least 4 hunters in there in December when I walk the dog

1 hour ago, RyAn... said:

Thanks yeah I'm not big into the pine bush I also came out with about 7 ticks when I was back there but I'll look into it a little bit more. And what county is partridge run? And have u taken any deer from there?

No help in hunting the areas you mention BUT.......watch them ticks. Go to Walmart ,Tractor supply or Dicks and buy a bottle of Sawyers permethrin to spray down your hunting clothes. It lasts a few weeks and clothes can be washed a few times. Soak them clothes and let air dry. Keep away from cats/dogs while it's drying as toxic to them

• Like 1

People do hunt in there for sure, but a honest law abiding hunter is better then one who isn't .

You got some good spots to start scouting between partridge run,black creek Marsh and the pine bush . Now's the time to start scouting ,the 2017 season is in sight 

Edited by sbuff
  • Like 1

No help in hunting the areas you mention BUT.......watch them ticks. Go to Walmart ,Tractor supply or Dicks and buy a bottle of Sawyers permethrin to spray down your hunting clothes. It lasts a few weeks and clothes can be washed a few times. Soak them clothes and let air dry. Keep away from cats/dogs while it's drying as toxic to them

Thanks for the tip I've seen the yellow bottle at field and stream I will pick a couple up

• Like 1