2017 DEER HUNTING FORECAST

Larry

"Preference points will be required for first permits for residents with no other permits available. "

What does this mean? I have two preference points for the unit I hunt, but I am not a resident. Does this mean another season with no doe permit?

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

What it means is if you’re not NY resident you won’t get a DMP. You do know you don’t have to live in WMU to apply for a dmp you can apply for any unit.

I have two preference point from applying the past two years in this WMU. I thought by resident they meant residents of that WMU get preferred treatment. Didn't realize it was a resident of NY. 

Here is the short version on how it works land owners with 50 acre or and disabled veterans get first chance at DMPs. Then residents of NY with 4 or more preference points and on down the line. Make sure when you apply for your DMPs you state your first choice and tell them you want to use your Pref. points on that choice. If you don’t get your DMP you will get another Pref. point.

If you go to the DEC web site and type in the search bar DMP odds you will get the info on chances to get a dmp. And the numberof dmps for that wmu. Here is the number of dmps for 8t 1400

Here is the short version on how it works land owners with 50 acre or and disabled veterans get first chance at DMPs. Then residents of NY with 4 or more preference points and on down the line. Make sure when you apply for your DMPs you state your first choice and tell them you want to use your Pref. points on that choice. If you don’t get your DMP you will get another Pref. point.

If you go to the DEC web site and type in the search bar DMP odds you will get the info on chances to get a dmp. And the numberof dmps for that wmu. Here is the number of dmps for 8t 1400

It doesn't matter what you tell them you want to use preference points on, preference points are only good for your first choice DMP. And vice versa you'll only get a preference point for being denied your first choice DMP, the second choice is irrelevant when it comes to preference points.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

For me it's as complicated as  predicting the weather in San Diego, I'll shoot  a decent buck in bow and have fun clowning around with buddies in gun season , where we'll take some does to donate and please farmer .

• Like 2

For me it's as complicated as  predicting the weather in San Diego, I'll shoot  a decent buck in bow and have fun clowning around with buddies in gun season , where we'll take some does to donate and please farmer .

What weekend should I come for the decent buck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same ole same ole for us...I'll go for my first tag in 8X because it will have lower chances then home 8N where I'll get that second and then Nov1 2 more tags...If I don't hunt camp then the guys will get the 8
X signed over...we may have a few new guys at camp this year.

Hey Chrisw you can use your preference points for you 2nd choice if you want if you look at the 2017 odds of getting your DMP’s for WMU’s 3j,3n,4f,4y,8x,8y and 9n are all High for 1st DMP but say PP Req. for 2nd DMP . Most do use PP Req’s for 1st choice but you can use them for ether choice.

Hey Chrisw you can use your preference points for you 2nd choice if you want if you look at the 2017 odds of getting your DMP’s for WMU’s 3j,3n,4f,4y,8x,8y and 9n are all High for 1st DMP but say PP Req. for 2nd DMP . Most do use PP Req’s for 1st choice but you can use them for ether choice.

You sir are correct, that's the first I've ever heard of that and the business I worked at for 8 yrs sold A LOT of licenses, looks like just a few of the areas utilize that system, makes me wonder how that works? In our system it wouldn't even give you an option to use your points toward any choice, it was only the first choice that used the points. Maybe it will prompt if you select one of those areas, I doubt we ever sold tags for those areas anyways, being located north of Syracuse. Interesting. Thanks for pointing that out!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk