How to tell you have bear in the area....

growalot

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I still want to see one someday. Recent pics says they're around 0eb01c10ee88e5c71fb440f0407a9466.jpg
She looks somewhat big but I have no idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised the deer didn't run.

Edited by Mambwe

26 minutes ago, growalot said:

The Bee keeper down the road...put in a heavy duty electric fence on big 8" post and high tinsel electric wire around his hives...never had it before...I also found a rotted stump ripped apart and chunks of it scattered around...

I'ts better to put the electric fence up around hives as a precaution if you think there are bears in the area  to keep their lips off the honey. Because once they get into a hive they will be back, fence or no fence. 

• Like 1

I'ts better to put the electric fence up around hives as a precaution if you think there are bears in the area  to keep their lips off the honey. Because once they get into a hive they will be back, fence or no fence. 

Dated a girl in HS and got "hives ". She should have put an electrical fence around her honey pot

• Like 2

We have always had them around but never a big problem...other than the one the DEC had to destroy on the next road over...it had a broken jaw from a car strike they figured...he was starving and breaking into peoples garages and barns. They got the call while at a bear meeting we were having on how to deal with bears in the area...lol

BTW we have a honey tree down at camp...it's the area I hunt when I go down to hunt them in bow season...It is a massive old hollow maple tree in our hedge row. I know we have wild hives here but the bee guy keeps putting out collection hives and taking the wilds for his hives...Then he takes them away and starts new ones...he has swarm collectors out now...This bugs me a bit...

35 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

lol. Wasn't being serious but beat Pygmy to the post. Sorry if it was out of taste. And now back to bear thread.

I think Pygmy has influenced a bunch of us! And not necessarily in a bad way............grin.

Clawed up signpost trees, tracks around ponds and swamps, dug out stumps, scat, hair on fence posts and wire. We have all that, and some bears. Been bears hear for a long time. Numbers are increasing every year. A couple of big ones too! Still haven't decided if I really want to shoot one yet. But a definite maybe???

• Like 3

I think Pygmy has influenced a bunch of us! And not necessarily in a bad way............grin.
Clawed up signpost trees, tracks around ponds and swamps, dug out stumps, scat, hair on fence posts and wire. We have all that, and some bears. Been bears hear for a long time. Numbers are increasing every year. A couple of big ones too! Still haven't decided if I really want to shoot one yet. But a definite maybe???

I throw my bear tag out day I get it. No desire to yield 10% meat , not getting it mounted , no rug and no trichinosis I can barely drag out my deer let alone a big bear. Not opposed to others , just not for me. Dang it , I want to see one !

• Like 1

I throw my bear tag out day I get it. No desire to yield 10% meat , not getting it mounted , no rug and no trichinosis I can barely drag out my deer let alone a big bear. Not opposed to others , just not for me. Dang it , I want to see one !

I've decided if I ever got the chance with a bow is take it. No real desire to shoot one with a gun. I guess if I thought was huge I may (then again everything I've seen says hard to judge) I guess it will just come to seeing one without cubs. Hopefully with a bow lol.

I've seen a few all with cubs it's awesome all on same property too year after year. I assume same female? Gotta be a good sized male around

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

there's a few on my property and they leave signs all over this guy was around in 2016 that's a spring bear his poop was everywhere.i didn't see him this spring but there was a smaller one that I watched rip up my shooting target then scratch his back on a tree. one even left scratches on a tree with my stand in it you can see the climbing stick on the left.

1.png

10.png

12 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

The three I have gotten yielded more than 10%. They don'[t yield like a deer but still worth it in my book.  If the hide is in good shape you can actually make some money on a nice rug. They sell pretty well and from the Taxidermists I have talked to about it they didn't require a deposit to do a rug becasue they knew they could get their money, unlike a mount. No danger at all eating properly cooked meat

11 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

(then again everything I've seen says hard to judge]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

they are hard to judge I shot one[bow] that weighed 280lbs. and one[bow] that barely weighed 90lbs. and the 90 pounder looked huge.i never hunted bears again maybe if i'm sure of the size and have my muzzleloader in my hand.

• Like 1