M1 Garand bullets

pointman

I'm not sure on the rate of twist of garands but I know the 06 was originally designed for bullets from 155-165gn so I would think any 150-165 would be fine. There are people here who know a lot more about them than me but I think you should be careful shooting full factory loads because I think the original 06 loads were a little softer than the modern stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I'm not sure on the rate of twist of garands but I know the 06 was originally designed for bullets from 155-165gn so I would think any 150-165 would be fine. There are people here who know a lot more about them than me but I think you should be careful shooting full factory loads because I think the original 06 loads were a little softer than the modern stuff.

That is why I would stick with the lighter bullets (150 gr) in factory loads.  They would keep your pressure down compared to the 165's and 180's.  You could probably get away with the 165's, if your rifle is in real good shape, but why push it ?  That is way overkill for deer.   If I had one, I would feed it with the Federal classic 150 gr bullets that have dropped my last two Adirondack bucks, dead in there tracks, from 300 and 50 yards.    I imagine that I would tire quickly of lugging that big 12-pounder around the mountains however.   It would be neat to use at home on DMP tags, from a blind with a good rest, if they ever decide to let us use rifles here in zone 9F.         

That is why I would stick with the lighter bullets (150 gr) in factory loads.  They would keep your pressure down compared to the 165's and 180's.  You could probably get away with the 165's, if your rifle is in real good shape, but why push it ?  That is way overkill for deer.   If I had one, I would feed it with the Federal classic 150 gr bullets that have dropped my last two Adirondack bucks, dead in there tracks, from 300 and 50 yards.    I imagine that I would tire quickly of lugging that big 12-pounder around the mountains however.   It would be neat to use at home on DMP tags, from a blind with a good rest, if they ever decide to let us use rifles here in zone 9F.         

Pressure doesn't usually change much due to lack of case capacity due to the bigger bullet.

If you fire normal factory loads in your Garand  you will bend your op rod...I have done it, because I did not know any better..Most factory loads use relatively slow burning powders that have a steeper pressure curve than the powder the M1 was designed for.

There are several Garand specific factory loads on the  market, but most of them are loaded with FMJs...A search might turn up some Garand specific loads with hunting bullets.

Another alternative is to buy military ball ( make sure it is non-corrosive) , pull the bullets and replace them with a 150 grain hunting type bullet.

If you reload or have a friend that reloads. you can duplicate the original   load the M1 was designed for, which is what I do.

46 grains of H4895 and any decent 150 grain spritzer  will do the trick...

• Like 3

I know the OP said he did not want to change the rifle,  but a good  way to solve the problem is to replace the original gas plug with an adjustable gas plug...There are a couple on the market for less than $50..With one of those you can shoot any 30-06 factory loads with no worry...If you need to make your rifle " 100% GI"  you can always re-install the original gas plug..That is what I would do if I were not a  handloader...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok first of Pygmy is 100% right do NOT put modern factory ammo through this garand you will break the rifle and maybe even hurt yourself.... hornady makes a specific round for the garand loaded with a a max bullet should work just fine on deer.... where in ny are you? I can sell you a box if you would like.

• Like 1