The popup tower..

growalot

Well today I finally ripped the wood for the popup tower....actually platform...it will be 8ft to the deck and 6ft by a bit over 5ft...It took 15 mins to rip the wood...I'm not use to working with such small pieces... The side rails are 2x8 and the end 2x4's like the joist..... With the legs being 4x4 I didn't need a deeper width for stability on the ends...The side rails I put in "cleats" to support the joist from underneath and facilitate my nailing them into place by my self. Thus needing a bit more room.I have some of the decking but need a couple of more pieces and I have a 16 ft wooden extension ladder I took out of commission... but with it not extended the rungs are doubled...so I will use it this year ...Because it is for popups I will be able to move it with the tractor forks or have the guys help me  if I want a different spot any given year...I have 2x2 thAT WILL BE SCREWED OVER THE SKIRTING TO CLAMP THE BLIND DOWN......wELL LUNCH AND SOME CHORES ARE DONE SO OFF i GO TO DELIVER THE WOOD TO THE SITE BEFORE HEADING OUT ON ERRANDS... oppsss damn cap lock...lol

I can't wait to get it done, this is such a good spot...but the blind limited my views due to the terrain. It's at the end of the ridge and above and south of the Oak flats...actually right where the oaks begin. I'm putting it in a giant maple down fall that's 10 years old...one corner will have the 9ft high stump remains, so it will be well hidden as the blind is now...

Let me take that back...8ft is a tower...lol

I assembled the 6ft sides and no the legs are not 4x4 they are 6x4 and heavy...I squared up the top rail and the middle leg spacer/support.. then had to lift the first one up to flip it over and make room to assemble the second one...OMG That was heavy awkward and I honestly not sure how I did it. I will take my remaining 2 x 4 x10 ft boards out tomorrow and tack them to the legs... these will be my "jacks'' to hold the sides up so I can get them into position and nail in the end rails and leg spacer/ supports.. The rails for the 2x4 joist are in place so nailing those in will be easy...I'm a 1/4 of the way done already I may need the Gator and the winch to help me get those sides u and in place...but no biggy she fits right in the area.

Edited by growalot

Well the frame is up and boxed in around the lower mid section...I need to get the  step ladder out there so I can secure the short end pieces and then level her up some before starting the joist...dang what a battle that was... I did discover a use for the green13 ft road sign steel posts Mr B brought home for me...They are the perfect diagonal for the long side to stabilize back /forward movement... and they have holes already in them the whole length. I can bolt them to the  top corner and the opposite bottom corner legs...Geez they have only been hanging around for years...

The deck is on and the light boards camo painted...some trimming done ..all I have to do is one small end piece and place the blind on it...I found a new rub on a ironwood sapling 30 ft behind it today,,,and fresh droppings..I listened to turkeys talking not far away as I hammered down boards... So there's my project for the season. I now have 4 tower blinds..with this one being for pop ups... Blends in well I think....

20170911_134419_resized.jpg

20170911_134309_resized.jpg

• Like 4

now thats a tower...I'm liking those steps..., Mr B. just called me to say a flock ,big flock of turkey was feeding in the clover in front of Rivers blind...I have to say the bigger ones are great...comfy cushioned office chairs with arms..but on a cold day or rainy day these popups are great too. All the others are carpeted..this I'm thinking I will buy a rubber pad for now I know they have it by the yrd 4x5 1/2 should work well..hope to find a sale or coupon...or just talk them down on price we'll see...

Edited by growalot

Speaking of building... It was raining yesterday morning so I went out to finish the blind and trim some lanes...sorry about fuzziness I think the lens got moist...The views from blind are before the trimming...So here's the final entry hope it gives ideas...BTW the red mat is over 55gal garbage bags to keep out the wind on floor and the dark pic is of a criss crossing of two bags under roofing rods. They fit perfect and tuck into the window wire. This blinds been out side a couple of years and is still in great shape,but why risk getting dripped on easy solution and the stool is a garden scooter with a big comfy adjustable swivel seat...plus I have a back up folding lawn chair with a back.

20170914_104708_resized.jpg

20170914_093217_resized.jpg

20170914_093715_resized.jpg

20170914_093343_resized.jpg

20170914_093440_resized.jpg

20170914_093346_resized.jpg

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2