Shrooms??

crappyice

Yes they are chicken of the woods (COTW). Laetiporus Sulphureus has a yellow pore surface(underside) and the Laetiporus Cincinnatus has a white pore surface. Both are equally delicious. I have about 10lbs. in my freezer from last months foraging.
Cotw is a prize and would be a shame to see that specimen go to the bugs/beetles. Harvest soon! When cleaning it try your best not to use water, an old toothbrush works great. You can rinse quickly and place on paper towels. They'll get soggy if you dont drain/dry.
When you harvest it please cut it no closer than 1" from the log, that will allow possible future fruitings. Lots of people don't realize the underground mycelium is the actual fungi in the form of a threadlike web. The mushrooms are merely the fruit.
Enjoy!!!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So I harvested a few bunches today and left some just in case I had some reaction or didn't like them.
Cleaned them as described above (thanks predate) and sautéed them in butter and oil and garlic until they were soft. The texture is fine but in am a bit disappointed in the lack of mushroom flavor- seems mild and obviously a great vessel for other flavors.

I ended up making a cotw and cheese omelette for dinner. It was good but I barely tasted mushroom (even when I ate it straight from the pan).

does the flavor intensify the older they get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it seems likely that the mild flavor was due to being small.

I like to saute' in olive oil, butter and rosemary until browned then add them to cream sauce. Serve over poached eggs or fish.
Maybe let the other grow and test the flavor.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

On 9/17/2017 at 7:27 AM, Paula said:

Yes puffball. You can cook with butter, I have cut thick and breaded and fried. 

Fried puffball is my favorites from my childhood days. We sliced about 1/2" dipped in egg then breadcrumbs fried in butter until soft. They have a great sweet flavor, it's making my mouth water just thinking about them. I usually let them dry out them squish the the puff to spread spores around a little. We used to have tons on the farm we would find them about the size of a basketball. Very good eating.