hang on tree stand cables

This may have been posted before but i didn't see it. I broke a cable on a hang on tree stand, I think it was a Guide Gear? I haven't been able to find any where i can get replacement cable. I was wondering if any one has made their own cables from hardware store cable and either u-clamps or crimp connectors? The cable has an eye bolt connection on each end to bolt it to the platform and the upright bar by the seat. I'm not sure I would trust a hand crimped connector. I heard that you can maybe get a garage door service tech to make you a cable from their OH door cables. What do you think?

Ok I got 1/8" coated cable and used 2 clamps on each end. I made them the same length as the 1 that broke. Got some large washers to keep them from slipping off. Hit them with some flat green spray paint. Also I used thread lock on all the u- bolts, they shouldn't loosen up.

IMG_20170919_171557815.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Why not convert over to flat stock...cut to length drill 2 holes stronger and will last forever

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I take my stands down every year and store them in my garage, I need to be able to fold them to carry and store. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, G-Man said:

I use chain..cables can rot from within and you don't know till you fall.. Chain and connectors are way to go imo

I hear ya, but I carry my stands in and out (no 4 wheeler) and chains add weight. New cables will work for years and I do check them each year. It was actually a fairly cheap repair! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

I hear ya, but I carry my stands in and out (no 4 wheeler) and chains add weight. New cables will work for years and I do check them each year. It was actually a fairly cheap repair! 

You only.need chain for 150lbs a side.. I have stands that are now 30 years old and i take them down and back up every year over 40 of them..chains are replaced 1x cables I would of had to do several times.. And very hard to visually check cables.. Corosion doesn't mean it's snapped.but it will when you stand on it