Need Clarification

damore81

I would think you can shot a deer in early archery with your archery either sex, then use your muzzleloading license to shoot a deer with crossbow using your muzzleloader stamp the last two weeks of archery season. As long as it's only one buck and one antlerless.

I don't see where it says you can't.

• Like 1

The way I interpret it since they make you buy a muzzleloader tag is that I can shoot a deer during bow season with my bow then I can shoot a deer with a crossbow or muzzleloader when that season opens which is the last two weeks of bow. However there is no specific details in writing that states that. 

5 minutes ago, damore81 said:

The way I interpret it since they make you buy a muzzleloader tag is that I can shoot a deer during bow season with my bow then I can shoot a deer with a crossbow or muzzleloader when that season opens which is the last two weeks of bow. However there is no specific details in writing that states that. 

I think the link I attached addresses the tag uses....you can shoot both during archery, crossbow or muzzleloader, however you choose in the Southern zone....both on the same day if you want.

4 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

I think the link I attached addresses the tag uses....you can shoot both during archery, crossbow or muzzleloader, however you choose in the Southern zone....both on the same day if you want.

But only one of them can have an antler more than 3" long, until gun season opens.   

You get a set of 2 tags, antlerless and either sex when you purchase either a bow or ML license. If you get both bow and ML licenses, you still only get the set of 2 tags (2 deer) to use in whatever season you have licenses for, bow, Xbow or ML . Use them up, save them, ration them.... whatever!

NYS legislators made Xbow hunting, regulations and the specific season super confusing in an attempt to appease the Xbow enthusiast, while limiting their usage. Crossbow season is listed with actual dates, but it's really last 2 weeks of bow season in SZ. You need a ML license to hunt with a Xbow during bow season and you report any kills as taken with a "bow". Figure that out...!??!

33 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

You get a set of 2 tags, antlerless and either sex when you purchase either a bow or ML license. If you get both bow and ML licenses, you still only get the set of 2 tags (2 deer) to use in whatever season you have licenses for, bow, Xbow or ML . Use them up, save them, ration them.... whatever!

NYS legislators made Xbow hunting, regulations and the specific season super confusing in an attempt to appease the Xbow enthusiast, while limiting their usage. Crossbow season is listed with actual dates, but it's really last 2 weeks of bow season in SZ. You need a ML license to hunt with a Xbow during bow season and you report any kills as taken with a "bow". Figure that out...!??!

I think that you have to purchase a big game license first, and that gives you a buck tag that can only be used after gun season starts.  If you add a ML or archery you get an either/or sex tag.  You need to purchase both archery and ML to get the extra antlerless tag.  For late archery or ML seasons, your gun buck tag becomes an either/or tag.

This is all pretty confusing, and even more so when you consider the Northern zone.  Hunting both zones I have to stay up on all of it.   The northern zone crossbow season is listed as 10 days (fortunately for me almost a month earlier than the southern zone).  It really only gives me three additional days to use my crossbow up north however, since ML opens for the last 7 days.  The only way I am going to use my crossbow during ML season is if my ML breaks or if it pouring rain out.   That is because my ML has an effective range of 150 yards, while my crossbow is just 50.    

Edited by wolc123

Ok so I think I got it. Basically with my bow and muzzleloader tag I can get a total of two does or one doe (or buck with antler less than 3 inches) and one buck for a total of 2 deer whether it be with bow, crossbow or muzzleloader. If l got just a bow tag then I would only be entitled to one either sex.