First come first serve

Drew2255

Okay what's your guys opinion on state land, hunting near somebody's tree stand, I was in the woods the other day, got in there  and all set up to only realize 75 yards away is a ladder stand, I got pissed off cuase now there is a possibility of Joe Shmoe coming in and ruining my afternoon hunt, my thought is this, guys put up stands all over state property, which is fine, but it almost makes me a little annoyed as to the entitlement to a spot, the hunter did come in eventually and it was a pleasant conversation, I guess it's just the whole marking the area with "my tree stand" gets me annoyed, any thoughts???

1. well ive hunted state land alot my rule off thumb was this if i get to an area and there is some one else there move on to another area more then once as i walked in i saw some one flash a light they beat e to it... if u know an area has lots of stands ur just asking for company no is entiletled  to the spot but first come .....ive not had an issue just be polite and know the guy is in the same shoes u r in public land can be tuff

I hunt a ton of state land mostly for gun so a bit different. One thing I can say is if he's got a stand in there he's probably going to hunt it often. Most guys won't put that kind of time into state land. If you hunt it often and run into him again maybe grab some lunch togeter sometime as both could have information to help each other and work up tactics to be successful on state land. If I walk in on someone on state land I do what I can to get away from them and also try to do it in a way that could push them a deer. Courtesy goes s long way and 99 percent of the guys I've met on state land are good guys

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I thought you wont allowed to leave a tree stand on state land you have to carry it in and out with you. but as too the question its free for all on state land there is a unwritten rule if you meet other hunters in a spot then you should simply move to another but not everyone is polite

15 minutes ago, growalot said:

I believe you can't damage trees and stands can't stay past season,May be different rules for different types of state land.

You're right no screw in steps but I don't think you can't leave treestands there for more than 30 days or something like no personal property can be left on state property excluding cameras, gps receivers, or radios.

Edited by chas0218

I only leave my stand if I'm actively hunting an area, when I'm done for the weekend or whenever it comes with me. I won't avoid an area just because someone decided to claim it by setting up shop and leaving a stand for an entire season, especially if it's not being used on a consistent basis. If there's someone in it, totally different story, I'll move on.

• Like 1

I watched a youtube hunt last night, "professional" hunter showed up to state land with his climber, saw a stand in the area and climbed into it instead lol. This was NY. That I would never do but I wouldn't hesitate to set up right next to it, if he shows up late he should respect that youre there and back out. When i hunted Coyle Hill I had several spots scouted for just that scenario. I always saw the same couple guys, they were very cool about going somewhere else if my truck was there, and vice versa