Hunting scrapes

YFKI1983

I got a scrape in 3S that I made in front of a cam and now it’s turned into one that 5-6 different bucks have used and does use too. Unfortunately the bucks don’t seem to come during daylight hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty normal.  I would suggest making your mock scrapes well before the season.  They aren't fool proof, but it's another way to put them in a specific spot.  I made 3 mock scrapes this year, and two got used heavily.  My rifle buck had just walked from a scrape.  My biggest buck I shot walking to a scrape.  I like the fact that does and bucks both check them.  I didn't make one at my house this year, because I don't often hunt here.  I will next year, since my plots and habitat work are starting to bring more deer around.

Good luck with it.  I just find it to be another tool I can use to up my odds.  If I can attract more deer by scratching around with a stick and adding a little pee I'll do it!

• 2 weeks later...

With the tight places I hunt I have never had the opportunity to hunt a scrape until this year. I am in a new spot and it turned out to have a fresh scrape first time I hunted there. I put a camera on it and I got some great pictures of several bucks and even a couple good daylight pictures. Unfortunately, being the rut in 3s was so late I was upstate gun hunting while everything was happening down here. I am really looking forward to second rut action. Stay tuned!!

Put a camera on it first and check it every couple weeks before the season starts to see if there is a pattern to it. Then time your sits and vacation time around the pattern. If during the season I would check it once a week if you can get to it without spooking game. Make note to when the scrap is visited and stay away from the scrap you shouldn't need to get within 20' of it with today's cameras.

Edited by chas0218