# acres per gun hunter guideline?

goosifer

To many variables . Land type, number of deer , what's around the land , is that hunted, type of hunting  and on and on . 

Tha farm I hunt is a few thousand acres , I believe about 15 or so,hunters not to,sure though , last year 40 some deer taken .

Yes a lot of variables. Shotgun or rifle? Hardwoods or field? Terrain? One person could certainly cover a 10 acre field with a rifle. But 10 acres hardwood might fit 2-3 people comfortably and hunt totally different deer.

For instance one spot I hunt we can sit 3-4 people on 15 acres and be quite far apart. Another spot I hunt we can sit 3 people on 6 acres but all face away from eachother. I personally hunt a 5 acre spot and it's just me.

• Thanks 1

In my mind I was thinking hardwoods. I currently hunt shotgun in Niagara county in tree rows along overgrown fields. Thinking about finding some land that has mostly hardwoods and or closer to where I live. (Could be shotgun or rifle, depending on county.) Thanks for your responses. So it sounds like 10 acres of hardwoods per rifle hunter would be a minimum, as a crude rule of thumb. Myself, I'd like to get around 50 acres, with a minimum of 25. Not a lot out there for sale, and what is out there get's pricey. I will take a closer look at lease opportunities.