Only 124 Days till Spring Turkey Season!

buffalojay83

58 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Hopefully this is the year for my first spring turkey

Well good luck to ya I hope you get one.  After I killed my first spring gobbler I was hooked! Everything about spring turkey hunting is great. It's a wonderful time to be in the woods. Just listening to everything in woods wake up first thing in the morning on a spring day is worth being in the woods. Killing a gobbler really tops it off! Or just hearing them makes me happy

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 3:52 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ve always said deer hunting fills my freezer but turkey hunting fills my heart 

I feel the same way turkeyfeathers. There is just something special to me about being out in the spring woods. If I had to choose from spring turkeys or deer it would definitely be spring turkeys. I look forward to it all year. It seem like it takes so long for it to get hear and in a wink of an eye it's over

• Like 2

A few years ago I got permission to hunt a farm that is great for turkeys. I killed  nice tom there the first year I hunted it and last year I missed a beatiful bird there. I'm really not used to hunting field birds so I thought I missed judged the distance but when I got back to my truck I noticed my choke was extremely lose. I still wonder if that could have been the reason why I missed. Do any of you guys reading this think a lose choke would screw with the pattern enough to cause a miss? 

Don’t think a loose choke would change pattern all that much. It’s still getting squeezed into a small confined area and both opening until out of the barrel. But you never know , could have stripped the wad on the way out too giving you a loose pattern. My .02. You got turkey fever and peeked missing the shot. We’ve all done that 

I always try to remind myself to keep my head down, but I know the turkeys I have missed was because of the ol turkey fever and peeking. And I know that could be the reason for the miss last year. I did kill one the first day last year but every two or three years it seems like I have to get a miss in there somewhere.  I hate when I do it but I guess thats part of hunting. 

I'm super excited, but after deer season ends, the wait for turkey seems to DRAGGGG, especially in mid april when you see the gobblers out strutting and you are like why cant I just go get them now!!! I had the opportunity to hunt on Easter last year on an air field under a special permit .. . omg how easy it was. Once may 1st comes around its much tougher. . . and then by mid may u really need to change your tactics up... but either way, I cant wait!!

I wish the season would open in the middle of April and run to the middle of May. If I had to guess that will probably never happen because less hens would be getting breed if the season opened in April. I think that's why we start in may, because it give the gobblers a chance to breed hens in April.  

Was just thinking about the whole turkey fever pop your head and peek thing... A habit I have assumed since I bought an autoloader is being ready for the follow up shot. I shoot a ton of clay birds and I follow up every bird after first shot and try to "clean up" and large left over pieces flying. I do it to practice as the smaller pieces do not fly straight. I noticed after last year's bird that as soon as I shot, I was right back on the bird after the shot. Not sure this will help anybody but maybe it will. I know I have my deer check list. If I have a gun, I immediatly start telling myself where's the shoulder, where's that shoulder.... Xbow is the heart. As soon as I know I'm shooting... Where's that heart. Where's the heart. Bow, lungs etc. Maybe I'll start with a "follow up, follow up". Don't judge me that I talk to myself alot. Sometimes I'm the only one that listens. Only thing about my get ready talks is then took too many years to become habit. When any target is in range it's hard to remember the important things.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk