They are out there

G-Man

I fished a trout opener (3rd Saturday in January) on year at -24.  The fish didn't bite.

You have to be careful on the ice, but I'm surprised by how many people are terrified of it.  10" of clear ice will safely hold a tank.  4" of ice will hold the heaviest human alive.  The only real consideration is imperfections like pressure cracks, thin spots caused by springs or brooks etc.  You have to be aware and know about the body of water you are on, but ice fishing isn't death defying.

A few years ago I fished near the Canadian border on Lake Champlain.  I was a mile and a half out on an ice road and measured 34" of ice.  

I haven't been out yet, but soon.  I usually just fish on a bucket, but I will have to break out the portable shanty and buddy heater if these temps hold.

• Like 1

I practically live on ice when not working in the winter, you guys don't know what you're missing! If you're smart about it there isn't much danger at all, use your head, pay attention and you'll be fine. I love all fishing but ice fishing may just be my favorite. Nothing like pulling jumbo perch and eyes through a hole. I will say if you aren't fully outfitted it can be less amusing. But I sit in 1 of my 2 shanties, with a grill, heater, 4 stroke gas auger, underwater camera, vexilar, warm, fat and happy. And I pull it out with my wheeler so I don't even break a sweat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yup being on the ice is a blast. Ever since I bought the wife a pair of ice cleats we haven't been the ice is just crap. But pulling a nice perch through the hole just cant be beat.Ive cought crappie perch and northern pike. once i pulled out a monster largemouth , it was almost as long as my ice rod, big fat bastard run the line around the hole  like it was a merry-go-round. Ice was flying every where thought i was going to lose it , estimated weight was around 8 pounds. looking forward to some hardwater fishing.

10 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I practically live on ice when not working in the winter, you guys don't know what you're missing! If you're smart about it there isn't much danger at all, use your head, pay attention and you'll be fine. I love all fishing but ice fishing may just be my favorite. Nothing like pulling jumbo perch and eyes through a hole. I will say if you aren't fully outfitted it can be less amusing. But I sit in 1 of my 2 shanties, with a grill, heater, 4 stroke gas auger, underwater camera, vexilar, warm, fat and happy. And I pull it out with my wheeler so I don't even break a sweat.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This is what I use when I go on ice :)

feature_lifesaver2.png

I was out before daylight this morning and caught the crappie bite good enough for my brother and I to both get a nice haul of 10-12 inchers on fatheads and jig poles. I think most were on the jigging rods, but the minnows picked up most of the biggest ones. I love ice fishing a lot more when it is warmer so we don't have to spend most of the time huddled in a shanty. 7 inches of clear ice on the pond we were fishing.

• Like 1