What's your dream outdoor trip?

Robhuntandfish

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Im gonna look a little more into saving for that Newfoundland trip for moose and brookies.  I picked newfoundland cause i am not much of a traveler and this wouldnt be too bad for me.  And the brook trout fishing is what my Dad and i always did.  He never got the chance to go on a trip like that , wish we could have.  

I have put in for maine moose tags for a long time now and am hoping one day that pans out , but newfoundland might be in reach.  Was actually making a plan that me and my buddy when we retire go on a trip right after so this might be it.  

Check out Patey and Sons at the NYS fair outdoorsman show the last week of February. That is the outfitter we used, and are using again. It is a heck of a drive there, overnight ferry to the island, then 5 more hours, but then you are flown in by seaplane (Dehavilland Beaver if I remember correctly), which made our trip even before it started. One on one guides, plenty of food, great country and Newfies got the highest success rate for moose anywhere....avg. 97%! 

There is fishing of course in Newfie, but of all the zillions of lakes where we were, there wasn't anything bigger than a minnow. It is all post glacier country, scraped clean in the ancient past. Pure, clean water, but nowhere for the fish to come from and not enough population to warrant stocking. the tidal rivers/ creeks have good runs of salmon, etc. but we didn't look into that at all.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, Paula said:

I wanted to take a motorcycle trip over there, i then seen a documentary on all the moose accidents .....

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

Remember, most of the accidents are early morning/ evening, and just like deer, many are in the fall when rutting. Newfie is BEAUTIFUL and the folks are great. 

Combine it with a trip to Nova Scotia, esp. Cape Breton where you would depart the ferry from....My wife and I did an off the cuff road trip through NS 10 years ago, and had the most fun ever on a trip.Amazing undeveloped sea shores, wonderful sea food. great people, miles of coast to explore....

Newfie is similar except with the feel of a new country, a very rocky primitive landscape. I want to take the bike back for a separate trip now.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, dinorocks said:

...followed by a trip to Greenland to hunt for fluorescent minerals ...

Bring a fly rod. Two friends did a fly fishing trip for char last year and the pics were amazing.

12 hours ago, Daveboone said:

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

Remember, most of the accidents are early morning/ evening, and just like deer, many are in the fall when rutting. Newfie is BEAUTIFUL and the folks are great. 

Combine it with a trip to Nova Scotia, esp. Cape Breton where you would depart the ferry from....My wife and I did an off the cuff road trip through NS 10 years ago, and had the most fun ever on a trip.Amazing undeveloped sea shores, wonderful sea food. great people, miles of coast to explore....

Newfie is similar except with the feel of a new country, a very rocky primitive landscape. I want to take the bike back for a separate trip now.

Cape Breton was where I saw my first and largest moose. I was cycling the Cabot Trail and rounded a corner to see the enormous beast standing n the road. I slammed on the brakes and we looked at each other for a moment, then he disappeared into the woods. I was shocked at how something so big could just meld into what seemed to be a very dense woods.    

As to NFLD, every body of water I threw a fly in held trout including streams in downtown St Johns.

Taking a trip to Slovenia and maybe Bosnia for trout this year. Bit of a dream trip.

Edited by left field

To add to the moose collosion talk...dont fear a moose collision,  obviously its a big deal if it happens, but as already mentioned its mainly an issue dawn, and dusk, and late late hours.  When it hotter out, its not as much an issue either.   I have been going to Moosehead Lake, Maine for about 10 yrs now, once a year, a few years twice.  I honestly travel about one thousand miles in 10 days once I am up there. It is a heavily moose populated area, and have ONLY  once had a very VERY close call, it was 11:30pm and the moose fell in the road trying to scoot away, as it heard the tires screeching to stop.  This isnt New Foundland, but I feel its enough experience to give input for traveling around moose.  Point is, GO, don't NOT go somewhere in fear of a moose collision, the scenery they roam, and the moose themselves,  are simply something words cannot describe.   I go every year just to see moose.  The scenery is indescribable as well.  Drive cautiously,  and be alert, at dawn, and dusk, and if traveling throughout the night, just slow down, and pull over for the locals who do 60mph regaurdless.  Moose travel more in cooler weather too keep in mind. 

As far as where I dream to visit...

YUKON, and northern Canada.  British Columbia.   When I retire, I want a diesel dually, and a 5th wheel camper, and travel cross country in northern Canada.   I want to hunt black wolves, and moose.  It has been a dream for years.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1