picking a stabilizer

RobC

Just wondering how you guys found the right stabilizer with there being so many different brands and different kinds how do you choose the right one without going out and buying a dozen. My last few bows I've bought used and just used what came on them. But I bought a new bow finally and have found all the accessories that fit me and am completely happy with it except the stabilizer. I've actually been shooting without one but I think I could get a little more accuracy with one. I shoot 3d but i want to hunt with it too. any suggestions on the topic?

I tried a couple out when I got my Darton Maverick in 1999, IIRC.  I couldn't see that it helped me enough to justify the weight.  I certainly understand the reasoning for one but it wasn't for me. 

My BT Guardian shoots light years better than the Darton so the need (?) seems to be even less.

For lots of guys, especially 3D dudes, they are a necessity.

That's just it for hunting I don't see needing one as I can hit the kill zone out to 45 yards no problem. But I did just start getting into 3d shoots but i'm using the same bow i hunt with so i really don't want a 2 foot stabilizer. Vibrations isn't a problem and its very quiet but I'd like to see a few more 10x's on my score cards. Maybe more practice is what I need instead of stabilizers. I will be checking out your site though centerpunch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a cheap Simms.  When I upgraded I read the reviews for each stabilizer on the Bass Pro and Cabelas web pages.  I settled on an Octane and I have been very happy with it.

Another place to ask about stabilizers is on Archerytalk.

Read your signature at the bottom and a while back I thought of the same thing. Mine was just a little different with:

"got my toes in some Mucks" and  "a Bowtech in my hands". ver cool!

Personally, I like a stabilizer. Not only does it aid in your hold, it also helps with your follow through which is very important.

• 2 months later...

I usually go with factory/ OEM stabilizers due to the theory of made for your brand of bow, however there are great after market products that would suit your individual needs..

heres a link that has all the intel you could need for choosing what would be appropriate for you..

http://bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/stabilizers101/

• 3 weeks later...

I use a stabilizer that is anywhere between 6 and 10 inches, I think my current one is 8. It sticks out just a little further than my sight does, so its no bother when hunting. You dont need a super long stabilizer to have it be effective. Unless you are shooting an older bow, forget about the vibration dampening, as most newer bows are pretty dead in the hand and quiet without a stabilizer anyway. I use mine as a counter balance to help steady the bow.

I will be picking up an new stabilizer from Stokerized for my Maxxis. Ill be getting either the 8 inch with the Saturn weight or the SS1, which is fully adjustable.

http://www.stokerized.com/products/hunting_standard.lasso

I use a stabilizer that is anywhere between 6 and 10 inches, I think my current one is 8. It sticks out just a little further than my sight does, so its no bother when hunting. You dont need a super long stabilizer to have it be effective. Unless you are shooting an older bow, forget about the vibration dampening, as most newer bows are pretty dead in the hand and quiet without a stabilizer anyway. I use mine as a counter balance to help steady the bow.

I will be picking up an new stabilizer from Stokerized for my Maxxis. Ill be getting either the 8 inch with the Saturn weight or the SS1, which is fully adjustable.

http://www.stokerized.com/products/hunting_standard.lasso

Over $100 for the SS1 is a little steep!

Which is what is holding me back from ordering it. I shot you a PM.