Pop up blinds?

catskillkid

I have a few friends that just can not sit still when I'm calling to a turkey. They are swatting at flies, adjusting thier headnets and hats or just trying to get into a better sitting position when a bird is finally getting close for a shot. I really think it may be subconscious movements because as I am reminding them not to move as I watch them, they are telling me that they are not moving. Maybe it is just their excitement oozing from the brains but it is not helping me to get a bird in close for them.

Last year, I borrowed a friend's two man pop up blind and it worked miracles. The birds could not pick up any movement and would walk right into the decoys. We shot 3 birds the first 2 mornings that we hunted.

Now I'm looking to purchase one, does anyone have any recommendations on what brand to buy? What camo pattern or any other thoughts?

I'll be setting it up just inside of woodlines along field edges and using two nice comfortable beach chairs.

Thanks,

Catskillkid

You might not think it, but for run and gun use...I use the cheapo dicks/ameristep blinds with the coils that roll/fold over one another. Doghouse type. Hub blinds are good for archery, but they weigh more and are more difficult to carry - and longer to set up.

I've never seen turkey get bothered by black holes. Super fast to set up...literally seconds.

I agree with the above posters..The Ameristep doghouse blinds have worked fine for me in the 2-3 years that I have been using them... They set up easily and  I have bought mine on sale for $60 -$70....

For years and years I have been sitting against trees and killing turkeys...I'm beginning to like sitting in my little blind on a comfortable seat and not worrying about having a gobbler spot me scratching my nose...

I have a dog house...a jake blind...ya know they just hide the front of you...and a chair blind ...they've all worked but the jake is best for moving around for me ...less set up movement and I really like the chair blind but it's one of the first and the front end is just too short and It works best with a shooting stik attached to the barrel...the dog house ...I've actually had deer walk up and stick their heads in the window and look at me...after excitement like that who needs a turkey....lol

don't get too crazy over what camo pattern, turks really don't seem to care, go as big as you can go, it's nice to be able to sit way back into the shadows of the blind to take your shot, especially with a bow because they will spot movement even in a blind. i keep all the openings almost closed and the front open just enough for a comfortable shot with whatever weapon i'm using that day, just looking thru slits to keep light from filtering in, too much light coming in will get you busted.

Dicks Sporting goods has a few around 80$ sometimes you can catch a decent sale.

p5157123nm.jpg

My son has trouble sitting still at times and he uses that blind more then I do. Sometimes you'll see guys wearing black hunting clothes which should help mask any movements from inside a blind. Well, ok but the blank pants is a bit much, I mean your sitting down.  :)