Winter blahs....what's the first thing you do and know winter is over

Robhuntandfish

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

Some nice trout there for sure.  I don't have down riggers etc.  I do most my fishing on Oneida for walleye and perch and bass.   

Any good ideas on how to catch lakers with a bass boat?  I have thought about some jigging spoons .  I do have a lead line trolling rod too.

Vertical jigging is the NUTS, from a bass boat  !   Once I started doing that I have pretty much retired my trolling gear...

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Really want to try some of that.  Not much of a trolling guy.  I like to chunk and wind.  Would love to get into some lakers that way.  

It's a great way to catch them... I have done a lot of trolling,  and I enjoy it,but the long lines, heavy weights, moving boat, etc. does dampen the fight of the fish....It is also a TACKLE INTENSIVE sport...

Catch a laker on a light spinning rod  with a 3/4 or 1 oz. lure   ....BIG difference in the fight  !!....pretty simple, too...Locate the fish with your electronics,  use your electric to maintain a near vertical presentation, drop the lure straight down and jig or just reel  toward the surface and REPEAT....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I've been looking into metal detectors, I'd really like to explore the creek that runs through a property I hunt

There are a lot of good detectors on the market for beginner-mid level experience and they are really fun to use. Almost all have a coil that are waterproof to use in creeks and streams. One of the biggest online detector stores will give you bunch of info and they have good customer service and prices. It is Kellyco.com check them out sometime!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, greg54 said:

There are a lot of good detectors on the market for beginner-mid level experience and they are really fun to use. Almost all have a coil that are waterproof to use in creeks and streams. One of the biggest online detector stores will give you bunch of info and they have good customer service and prices. It is Kellyco.com check them out sometime!

That is a great site, thanks! Ill probably go cheap and get the $99 to start, it has great reviews

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That is a great site, thanks! Ill probably go cheap and get the $99 to start, it has great reviews

Great! You can then decide if you like or maybe in the future go with more advanced model. Look on youtube, you can see the make and model from a user and get more info!

• Like 1