Just got a .308

My uncle just gave me a remington 770 .308. I plan on hunting with it eventually, but I wanted to get you guy's opinions first. What is the best .308 whitetail weight? I use 130Gr on my .270 but I was also thinking about bumping that up to like 150. What do you guys think?

Not to "change the subject", and im sure its somewhere on the forum but since were on the subject, how do i tell what shoots best? If I sight it in for 165Gr, then try it for 150Gr, i have to mess with the scope again. Am i just looking to see what I can group better?

Remember, you dont neccesarilly have to re-adjust your scope for the different rounds. As long as you are on the paper and aiming at the same spot for every shot, you will get a group and be able to tell which group is the tightest. Thats all you need, you dont need to be shooting for bullseye with every load.

Oh, and let the barrel cool down between shots.  ;)

might be a little anal with the new ammo out there But I swab the barrel after each shot if I am shooting groups. Not a full clean just a swab to duplicate what my first shot would be like in the woods. WNY is right on though......take your time and may very well take multiple trips if you really want to see what the gun is capable of...cool down has a big effect

I clean after a 3 shot group.When I am breaking in a new rifle.But to be honest after I find the right bullet,I only clean after I'm done.I know that sounds lazy.But when I do get to the range its always with 3 or 4 guns so thats a lot of scrubbing.

I dont clean after every shot every time I shoot. When I break the gun in, here is what I do...

-clean bore and lube bolt

-5 rounds, cleaning between every shot, lube bolt after 5th shot

-5 rounds, clean and lube

-10 rounds, clean and lube

-10 rounds, clean and lube

Between shots, I let the barrel cool.

When Im patterning new rounds, I clean the gun first, shoot one round, let it cool and run a couple of patches through the barrel, shoot a round, let it cool and run a couple of patches, etc etc until I get my group for that type of round. If I test a different round right after that, I clean the barrel completely before starting with the new ones, then repeat the above procedure.

When I go to the range just to shoot, I clean the gun before I go and after I get home.