beginner's tackle box/starter kit for panfish?

goosifer

I'd like to do some simple, basic freshwater fishing this year. Haven't really fished since I was a kid. I remember buying all this stuff for my tackle box; don't even remember what happened to it. Anyway, there are a few starter kits out there, and wanted some opinions as to whether they are worth it, or if I am better off just buying what I need piecemeal. The two kits I found that look interesting are this one at Cabela's link for $22.99 and this one at Walmart link for $15.86. I bought a lighter weight fishing pole for $20 earlier this week. Thanks.

i would go for the walmart one- the tackle box is way better. But think your probably better off piecemeal.  At the walmart in - store they have some nice little tackle bags for a decent price as well and they are very handy for other gear you might take along.  Would include a pair of needle nose pliers as they are always helpful or throw in a leatherman tool.  But if your just gonna shore fish bait this will work for panfish , bullheads etc.  The stuff that comes with it is ok, but i would just pickup a cheap little tackle bag/box.  Throw in pliers, a little round case of assorted sinkers, some snelled hooks in size 6, 4, a pack of snap swivels and a pack of assorted bobbers.  Should be able to get out of that for under $25.  Then of course any lures that look shiny !  lol 

good luck.  

Not a big fan of loose hooks unless i am worm fishing for trout.   If casting off shore put a bell sinker on the bottom and then tie the snell hook about a foot above it.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Size 8 snelled hooks , pencil bobbers , as mentioned pliers or gerber multi tool , pinch barbs on hooks. Easier to release fish and remove from yourself lol. Joe , there’s a few bait shops around but Noco gas stations have bait vending machines , Cabelas sells bait too I think   Westwood park on Pavement road in Lancaster holds some panfish and largemouth. Late summer it gets weed choked though. Daughter caught her first fish there. There’s a good sized pond by the Amherst police dept that you’ll catch a ton of sunfish , bass and perch.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, goosifer said:

I'd like to do some simple, basic freshwater fishing this year. Haven't really fished since I was a kid. I remember buying all this stuff for my tackle box; don't even remember what happened to it. Anyway, there are a few starter kits out there, and wanted some opinions as to whether they are worth it, or if I am better off just buying what I need piecemeal. The two kits I found that look interesting are this one at Cabela's link for $22.99 and this one at Walmart link for $15.86. I bought a lighter weight fishing pole for $20 earlier this week. Thanks.

Pan fishing is so much fun, and relaxing! Think alot of us started out, waiting for that bobber to move and go under!! It never gets old!

Like Robhuntandfish said, a small tackle box, or a bag with 3 plastic trays and some side pockets, to keep all the odds and ends, will work perfect. 

Pick up some packs of small snelled hooks. If you can find them, get the red colored ones. Pan fish are very much attracted to color. Also pick up a couple of bright colored fly's or small crappy jigs. Tie em 18 inches or so, from your bobber with a small piece of split shot, and twitch you line a little bit, now and then. But the old worm or crawler, seems to always work best. Sit back with a cold beverage, in a comfy lawn chair and enjoy!!

If I do a bit of digging. I may find enough stuff to get ya started?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

. . . There’s a good sized pond by the Amherst police dept that you’ll catch a ton of sunfish , bass and perch.  

Is the pond off Audubon? That sounds like a convenient spot. Thanks.

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter and I would meet you at pond in Amherst or Westwood sometime. Prepare to get out-fished by a 15 year old girl though lol. Love fishing with her as I can fish. She baits hook , takes off fish etc. Fishing with wife and I want to go home 

I'll take you up on that. To my surprise, my wife said she'd go fishing with me, as long as I do all the dirty work.

When I go with my girls they fish while I run around like a chicken with my head cut of.

Baiting the hook
Casting for the little one
Setting the hook for the little on
Pulling seaweed off the hook
Getting snags out
Unhooking fish
Undoing the birds nest in the line that I have no idea how it even happened
Trying to get pictures

Phew I’m tired just thinking about it but can’t for for our first outing of the year!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1