What heat index? Chilly sunrise on Wright.

Jdubs

There is just something about hiking all night to watch a sunrise that calls me to the mountains.  With a steamer of a weather forecast, I decided Saturday morning would be the perfect time for the short 7 mile RT hike to Wright.  Leaving the house by 10 pm on Friday, I met my hiking partner at the trailhead by 12:30 am.  

The trail was so different from just 2 months ago when I hiked Algonquin and Iroquois in the snow!  Rock hop after rock hop over 2 steepening miles until we finally made the last .4 mile summit path.  It wasn't until stepping on the summit at 3:30 am that the wind really kicked up, making for a very chilly, but thoroughly enjoyable 2 hour summit stay.  Wright is #37 on my way to finishing all 46 on Haystack next month.

As much as I played with the camera settings, none of these photos will do the summit experience justice.  You've got to be up there to fully appreciate the dawn of a new day.

FB_IMG_1530399322134.jpg

FB_IMG_1530448070640.jpg

FB_IMG_1530448046995.jpg

FB_IMG_1530448056577.jpg

FB_IMG_1530449164005.jpg

FB_IMG_1530399344133.jpg

FB_IMG_1530399378623.jpg

FB_IMG_1530399385490.jpg

FB_IMG_1530399398413.jpg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Great pics. Well accomplished hike. Always enjoy seeing your hiking adventures 

Thanks TF!  I actually planned to do this summit back in April while coming down from Algonquin and Iroquois, but I was pretty gassed and didn't want to "bag" it just for the sake of checking one more off the list.  I considered saving this peak for #46, but ultimately decided that something more epic (like Haystack) will be more fitting.  I couldn't be more satisfied with the way this hike turned out. :)

9 hours ago, grampy said:

I truly enjoy your hiking stories and pictures! Thanks for taking us along with you!

Thank you!  I'm happy to share.  Seeing people's adventures splashed across various social media and hearing stories from others that I've met certainly has inspired me.  Maybe I can pass that along to some aspiring hikers out there.  We're lucky to have these beautiful mountains and abundant lands to explore. :)

Edited by Jdubs