Pigeons

Shooting them off barn beams with a spring powered Daisy, the BBs would just bounce off their wings...You needed a head or neck shot to drop them..

However, in flight, with their wings deployed, light loads of 6, 7 1/2 or even 8 shot work pretty good...

• Like 1

Nephew and I got out for a quick hunt this afternoon.  Got 30 in an hour and a half. It was pretty windy and the birds weren’t flying too much. Those that were dropped right into the dekes and made for fairly easy targets. We both got doubles on 4 bird groups. A lot of laughs. 

• Like 1

Got out yesterday and shot 25. Finally got permission to hunt over a cut wheat field this morning and shot 60. They were coming into the decoys in flivks of 30 plus.  I refuse to flock shoot as some guys around here too.  Too many wounded birds  running around after that carnage. A group of 3 were hunting 2 farms over yesterday and 30 shot volleys every 10 minutes. They had extended magazines. I watched fir a bit ftom afar and saw a lot of wounded birds floating off.  I did manage 2 triples with one shot. Heads sll lined up perfectly as they set into the decoys. The picture is of 40 of this mornings 60. 

5F179683-1CB7-47E6-A9E8-C2B02BB82C6E.jpeg

• Like 3

Heading out in the morning to a new cut wheat field. My wife is joining me as well. Hoping that they are flying like last weekend. Looking to hit triple digits this weekend. My nephew is joining me Sunday so that should be a lot of fun. Its sick that I look forward to my pigeon hunts as much as my upland bird and deer hunts. 

Only managed 20 this morning. My field was dragged and replanted. Next field over was still stubble. They were pouring in there pretty good. Farmer is cutting alfalfa right now in the adjoning field where I was set up. Hopefully it will be a good afternoon shoot. Off to mow lawns and yard work for a few hours. 

Speaking of pigeons, I took one to the shins the other day walking to the subway from work. A bus scared them from the street and the stupid ass flew right into my shins when I was walking. Made me do a move Pelé would have been proud of. Then it just flew away. Very strange indeed.

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

Well my 2 fields finally dried up. 3 birds flew in and got them all. Nothing flying all morning. Could have been the fog as well...birds couldn’t see the dekes. Have to find a newly cut wheat field. There are 2 huge fields down the road which should be ready soon. We shall see

• 2 weeks later...

It has been 2 weeks since I have been able to get out. Brush hogging shooting lanes at our rifle spot tomorrow then going to try to hunt some pigeons at 2 new farms. Im having withdrawals. However I do need to remove one box blind from a farm we will no longer be huntin deer and set it and another at our farm up north where we are mowing tomorrow.  Tough choices. 

There is certainly no shortage of pigeons just about anywhere. The best areas are within a couple miles or from a town, city or large bridge system. They come out in the morning to feed. Find a relatively freshly cut hayfield and set out the dekes. I  witnessed flocks a mile or so out turn and just jet to the dekes. The Mojo pigeons in the spread have made all the difference to me. It is incredibly exciting shooting

TACC...it is so addicting. I have been a wingshooter my entire life and would never give up chasing my setters in the uplands. That being said, when you can shoot pigeons all year with no rules applied it is a great way to spend time outdoors. Some guys just crush up newspaper into balls for decoys. I can’t stress enough how important a Mojo or lucky duck spinner is for oigeons.  They see that flicker and cannot resist. Oftentimes a goup comes in...you shoot 2 or 3...and the others just circle back for another round. It’s something every winshooter needs to try. 

• 3 weeks later...