Local Fair Displays

dbHunterNY

On 8/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, wooly said:

Honestly believe that many of the "professional" jaw bone age estimates floating around out there are WAY off myself, especially when guys have no previous years history with a buck and just "officially" stamp a number on it.

A close acquaintance of mine has a 140" 13pt taken from the property I've hunted and picked up sheds from for the past 30 years.

He had it aged (by DEC if I'm not mistaking)), and it came back as a 2.5 year old.

Now it doesn't matter how impressive of a buck someone else takes from the property.... it's only ever a 1.5yo, and that's the reason we never see any 3.5's and 4.5's. I'm not saying you're wrong when you say you can't age by antlers, but after a few dozen years of collecting what the property consistently grows each year in each class with a few exceptions, I think you can be fairly accurate in the 1.5 - 4.5 yo category even if you may have never seen a 4.5 on the hoof.

Properties being posted this year so should be covered up in 100"-125" yearlings at the very least,lol

All this ageing and scoring crap has gone to everyones head if you ask me!:wacko:

i have a big 8 pt that the check station told me was 3.5 years old looking at jaw. i then showed them sheds from same buck going back 5 years. i took tooth to friend at museum who thin sectioned it  and counted rings and it came back at 8.5.. my guess by  using sheds was 7.5 .  most jawbone agers do not have a clue.  soil conditions play big role in wearing teeth as well as rounding the tips of hooves. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I said I'd take better pictures if I could. Dead deer so no worries. I'm no@moog5050 but 6' tall. Nevermind the dad bod. Holding it down and close to me as I could.
8ec442fbebf9724b8c8f87113b929862.jpg5fef8bf4b7ea86b139af6a64bc9d0741.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

long beams , wide ,and great mass those measurements alone would have it in 100s add in 10 pts of legnth. its possible. looks pretty symetrical as well

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I said I'd take better pictures if I could. Dead deer so no worries. I'm no@moog5050 but 6' tall. Nevermind the dad bod. Holding it down and close to me as I could.
8ec442fbebf9724b8c8f87113b929862.jpg5fef8bf4b7ea86b139af6a64bc9d0741.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks DB, those main beams  are impressive no doubt.

5 hours ago, rob-c said:

Thanks DB, those main beams  are impressive no doubt.

i've looked at it. took pictures of it. same as other buck racks i've had in my hands as big and bigger, actually holding it in your hands is totally different.  unreal deer get around so well out in the wild with that much heft and bulk on their heads.

12 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Should have put a quick tape to it...

i own one of those special B&C tape measures that came to me free in the mail one day. i've maybe used it 3 times. i'm not really a "what's it score" kind of guy. i do admit the merits of a scoring system though.

9 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i own one of those special B&C tape measures that came to me free in the mail one day. i've maybe used it 3 times. i'm not really a "what's it score" kind of guy. i do admit the merits of a scoring system though.

definitely some great mass.  Almost look bleached. 

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

not almost. it is. combo of where it's kept and that it was more or less found. not shot and recovered.

Now that’s interesting, do you know the details ? Hit by vehicle ? Or a bad hit and found by another ? 

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

Now that’s interesting, do you know the details ? Hit by vehicle ? Or a bad hit and found by another ? 

not auto accident or anything. found on a property practicing QDM.  not sure of cause of death. that's the unknown part. i'd think if it was known to be wounded i would've been told. definitely not a poaching incident or that'd be thoroughly discussed in our group. just a dead head with no juicy story. lol

26 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

not auto accident or anything. found on a property practicing QDM.  not sure of cause of death. that's the unknown part. i'd think if it was known to be wounded i would've been told. definitely not a poaching incident or that'd be thoroughly discussed in our group. just a dead head with no juicy story. lol

Well that’s sucks , what a  great buck.. 

35 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

He got a mortal wound battling a larger one. That's the story and i'm sticking to it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1