Calling dogs..

So I am getting back into the predator calling game.. Season is fast approaching, and I think I'm more excited for this than deer hunting. Had a few questions, and looking for opinions.. why why not's..

During the day when calling I sit down with a harris bipod facing the direction I expect them to come from.. etc. But for after dark, does anyone stand with a nice sturdy rest/tripod of some sort when calling, instead of sitting? I have been seeing a lot more people standing when night hunting/calling.  Ive been thinking it would be easier to scan, and possibly react on an incoming vermin compared to sitting down if needed, especially from the opposite direction...

And for those who sit, what rest do you prefer? An attached bi pod or a well built swiveled type tripod setup?  

Just curious, either have to invest in a decent back pack with kickstand still, or try the stand setup.. 

TIA

Bryan 

3 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

So I am getting back into the predator calling game.. Season is fast approaching, and I think I'm more excited for this than deer hunting. Had a few questions, and looking for opinions.. why why not's..

During the day when calling I sit down with a harris bipod facing the direction I expect them to come from.. etc. But for after dark, does anyone stand with a nice sturdy rest/tripod of some sort when calling, instead of sitting? I have been seeing a lot more people standing when night hunting/calling.  Ive been thinking it would be easier to scan, and possibly react on an incoming vermin compared to sitting down if needed, especially from the opposite direction...

And for those who sit, what rest do you prefer? An attached bi pod or a well built swiveled type tripod setup?  

Just curious, either have to invest in a decent back pack with kickstand still, or try the stand setup.. 

TIA

Bryan 

Not sure if you mean sitting the ground but when I hunted with Treeguy last year, we generally set up with a chair and tripod.  He may have stood on a set but mostly chair with tripod.  You hunt them during deer season too? 

Sorry should have cleared that up. Yes sitting on the ground with my turkey vest/cushion. I thought about a small chair but didnt feel like carrying it. my buddy has the super nice tenzig with kickstand. which i cant afford lol. I just really like the idea of the guys on some of these forums that are standing and calling. Just curious if anyone else stood when calling. a few times we have had dogs within nearly arms reach around us from the opposite direction but cant get shots off, hit downwind and are gone fast. Last winter, a yote came running in after dark and stumbled over my buddies legs while it came in to the distress!! Talk about almost scary. Seems maybe standing there might be better chances

Yes I plan to hunt during deer season on and off. Mainly early season first few weeks, if i dont have any good bucks patterned. I have a couple spots that are gold mine for early season coyotes.  Just wont hunt in my good buck spots. Get on them coyotes before they get smarter and scent of the people/hunters wandering in the woods. Plus the younger ones typically come in, since they are inexperienced. Plus the weather is a bit nicer. 

9 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

But for after dark, does anyone stand with a nice sturdy rest/tripod of some sort

I personally stand and make sure I blend into the background and am not silhouetted. Standing gives a wider range of view and more ability to shift position without getting busted. I shoot off hand no rest. Less to carry, lose, or forget.

Most of the "modern" younger callers are using bipods, tripods, or the ones they just stick the gun in and can swivel it in the direction they want. More stuff to buy, carry, and possibly lose. Just seems easier to me to learn to shoot.

But hey...to each their own.

• Like 2

I feel the same way Steve, the less i have to carry the better.. for many reasons lol. Think i may try the standing approach as well. Sitting down seems fine if you can cover the whole range of where you can shoot without having to move or adjust for the shot. Thanks Steve

I also stand and shoot off hand, although I will occasionally sit if the terrain allows.
When it's very dark out I will stand in the middle of the field and scan 360°, once I have a predator coming in I will either shoot off hand or take a knee and shoot.
When the moon is bright and there is snow cover I will set up on the edge of the field. Since sitting on the edge means I won't have to scan behind me I will sometimes sit.
If I were one to only make 1 or 2 sets per night and they were easy to access I could justify carrying extra gear, but I often make 8-10 sets per night. Every set is never the same either, the wind might change and I might have to walk a half mile to enter the calling area from down/crosswind.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 7:00 AM, PREDATE said:

I also stand and shoot off hand, although I will occasionally sit if the terrain allows.
When it's very dark out I will stand in the middle of the field and scan 360°, once I have a predator coming in I will either shoot off hand or take a knee and shoot.
When the moon is bright and there is snow cover I will set up on the edge of the field. Since sitting on the edge means I won't have to scan behind me I will sometimes sit.
If I were one to only make 1 or 2 sets per night and they were easy to access I could justify carrying extra gear, but I often make 8-10 sets per night. Every set is never the same either, the wind might change and I might have to walk a half mile to enter the calling area from down/crosswind.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Just noticed your post, Sorry sir. Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a Tenzig vest with kickstands for whichever the setup allows me to do.. Also ordered a Lucky Duck Rev from verminator.. 20 real life bonus calla plus a hat lol. Cant wait. Sighted in with factory loads, and just loaded up some 52 and 55 gr handloads. More excited for predator hunting than Deer season this year.  

• Like 3

Predate said it best. Standing is better in the beginning of the season. I try to do a couple stands when I go. I carry a chair, ammo in my pocket(I have a plastic case that is lined for noise), flashlights - 1 in hand & 1 around neck, my caller and my gun. I sit along edges of fields or some type of background to blend in. 

• Like 1