Ladder stands , are they secure?

I always use extra ratchets around the platform area and also use a chain with lock for extra support and sense of security. And always check  ratchets and replace when needed.  I leave my ladder stands out all year and paint or touch them up every few years. I also place wood or flat rocks under the bottom rung/feet to make it level and prevent from sinking in. 

I used pipe hangers/clamps  - the kind that hold pipes to walls - and put in a few lag bolts in the seat area ! I did that for two reasons ! One was to naturally lag the seat to the tree and the second was because one time I was about to take a shot at a coyote and the seat " creeked " and the coyote took off .... seat does not creek anymore !

8 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

I used pipe hangers/clamps  - the kind that hold pipes to walls - and put in a few lag bolts in the seat area ! I did that for two reasons ! One was to naturally lag the seat to the tree and the second was because one time I was about to take a shot at a coyote and the seat " creeked " and the coyote took off .... seat does not creek anymore !

Thanks ! Attached two large ladderstands yesterday, both have two  “V” with teeth ,but  bottom one on one stand does not reach the trunk ( odd wavy trunk ) . I was going to try to shim it ,but that doesn’t always work well. I’ll,grab some pipe hangers at Loews today, should do,the trick .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northcountryman said:

So I Went back Saturday to check on my stand and trail cams. I ended wrapping a chain around the tree near the seat and securing the ends of the chain with a nut and bolt . Feel like that should reinforce the top enough . Additionally, I brought an extra ratchet/ strap and secured the support bar to the tree near the bottom. There’s no way that even if a strap broke on the top that it could come down with the chain on it: right? ? 

As soon as your feet leave the ground, their's always a risk. 

The chain is likely much stronger than the ladder stand itself so you will want to watch that as the tree grows.  We often use a turnbuckle on the chain, this makes it easy to tighten and loosen as needed.  As I have gotten older(and less agile) I feel safer in ladder stands than hang ons.  I still use a safety rope with prussic not from the moment my feet leave the ground.  Good luck!

jperch