October 1st

biggamefish

2 hours ago, Rob... said:

I understand the reasoning for not liking the Saturday gun opener VS the Monday opener. If you have a camp that was the weekend to visit neighbors, get a little crazy with the booze, and catch up. I don;t understand how it cost the whole week. I am not trying to start a ruckus, I honestly don't see how changing the SZ opener by two days can cost a week. If you prefer to be in the woods with a bow that week you certainly still can. Again, I am not being a smart ass.

was a long weekend for bow and then 1 day for gun for a lot of people. if you never hunted out of a camp you will not.understand.. back then it was also 4 people on a doe tag so camps got.together to even apply for one and then play poker to see who got it and for how long.. maet was still devided but was always nice to have that tag on you..

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

was a long weekend for bow and then 1 day for gun for a lot of people. if you never hunted out of a camp you will not.understand.. back then it was also 4 people on a doe tag so camps got.together to even apply for one and then play poker to see who got it and for how long.. maet was still devided but was always nice to have that tag on you..

I get that. I hunted from a camp before I was old enough to hunt deer. I was the "new blood" and I was a pusher on drives wasn't allowed to carry my shotgun most times. I can't remember, but I think doe permits were still on party basis back then ( 1985 ).

I have also hunted from a tent for hunting trips later on in life. It's not really a camp, but it sure was hunting from a camping situation.

Again, I get it, I do get that that the new date caused a few mom and pop places to either loose a lot of business, or just have to fold ( as mentioned in other threads like this ). 

I would not care if they went back to the old season date starts. Like I said, I am not arguing. Just asking questions. 

The party permit ended long before the Saturday opener .Like two decades .

ive hunted since mid 70s never had to do party permits ,that I recall maybe a few years early i can’t remember .

Sat or Monday never mattered to me never worked a M- F job .

so few guys bow hunted back in the day , it seemed to be more about drinking the weekend  prior to Monday then anything .

Opening day rarely fails on Thanksgiving week as well .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

I remember party tags in the mid 1980s.  Didn't last a lot longer after that.  I've bowhunted since 1984.  Back in the 1980s - those few of us that bowhunted had the hunting all to ourselves until the third Monday.  That last weekend of Bow was always a HOT one!   I loved the Monday opening day and remember missing school for it even.  But I liked the Saturday opening day when my son was old enough to hunt - had a few really great opening weekends with him when he was old enough to hunt. 

I was too young to have a gun in my hands but I still remember the camp life leading up to Monday gun opener. Dad and me would usually head up to camp Thursday and my uncle and grandfather would be there already.

We’d do some chores around camp and finish any treestand work on Friday, dad would bow hunt Saturday morning and then they would all get drinking pretty heavy the rest of the weekend. This is where I sharpened my skills with my old .22. They’d toss beer cans off the porch down the hill and I’d shoot them and go pick them all up later.

This is also how I learned to drive! There were other camps around and it was like a ritual to drive around and stop at different camps to drink, play cards and shoot the sh*t. Being that my old man and uncle were tuned right up I got the ultimate little boys thrill of learning to drive down the back roads.

Sunday morning was always a late one but after getting everyone’s hung over butts going we’d take a ride down to a local sporting goods store and do a little shopping before heading back to camp for a big feast and football on the 2 channel tv.

I’m not as old as a lot of you guys on here but I remember the old Monday opener and the days leading up to it as some of the best memories of my life. Unfortunately this is something my boys won’t really get to partake in which is disappointing.

Maybe we should petition DEC to change it back? Tell them they can open crossbow oct 1 but move gun back to Monday. That should cover the issue with DEC wanting more deer killed to control population.

• Like 1

I was too young to have a gun in my hands but I still remember the camp life leading up to Monday gun opener. Dad and me would usually head up to camp Thursday and my uncle and grandfather would be there already.

We’d do some chores around camp and finish any treestand work on Friday, dad would bow hunt Saturday morning and then they would all get drinking pretty heavy the rest of the weekend. This is where I sharpened my skills with my old .22. They’d toss beer cans off the porch down the hill and I’d shoot them and go pick them all up later.

This is also how I learned to drive! There were other camps around and it was like a ritual to drive around and stop at different camps to drink, play cards and shoot the sh*t. Being that my old man and uncle were tuned right up I got the ultimate little boys thrill of learning to drive down the back roads.

Sunday morning was always a late one but after getting everyone’s hung over butts going we’d take a ride down to a local sporting goods store and do a little shopping before heading back to camp for a big feast and football on the 2 channel tv.

I’m not as old as a lot of you guys on here but I remember the old Monday opener and the days leading up to it as some of the best memories of my life. Unfortunately this is something my boys won’t really get to partake in which is disappointing.

Maybe we should petition DEC to change it back? Tell them they can open crossbow oct 1 but move gun back to Monday. That should cover the issue with DEC wanting more deer killed to control population.

Start a petition and I’ll sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1