Climbing stand do's and don'ts

JRod 8G8H

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but some kind of bow holder is a good idea......I like the Realtree brand.  The 13" model is what I like and use.........
https://www.realtree.com/camo-products/realtree-improves-ez-hangers-expands-ez-product-line

I found if you secure the bow holder to the bottom portion of the stand the two parts still seat together for easy transport. I actually like having the bow lower- somewhat out of the way until it’s go time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive said it dozens of times but the thirdhand stabilizer straps are the best $20 youll spend for your climber. They keep the sections tethered as you climb and lock that sucker in when youre at height. Id also avoid red oaks, nothing bites into them

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Climbing-Stands-Stabilizer/dp/B00VR18IVY

I also have the Viper, its a great stand

^^ this times a 100 ^^ I bought the straps the bow holder and insulater strips for all 3 of our climbers,  well worth the cost. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Make sure that when your bow is tied off to your haul line that the slack cord laying on the ground doesn't get hung up on some PIA underbrush/brambles etc.  OR.....your quiver gets caught on something while getting yanked up and BAM, it becomes detached from your bow.  

Tons of suck-age occurs when you have to climb back down, straighten out your gear then climb back up!!

i like the pull up ropes that have the clasp at the end. tie it around a cam or limb and clasp to the rope. I only use this on my climber and not the hang ons. for exactly the reason you mentioned. 

17 hours ago, Belo said:

i've also had some sphincter puckering moments on very hard and smooth trees when slick from dew/frost/rain. 

yea it eludes what type of tree it was but it met your description. it was an old climbing stand i borrowed. i got up there 15' and slide down 10'. happened very quick and was at the bottom before i could process what happened. i went out and bought a Summit the next week and passed over that tree despite being in the perfect spot. now with more experience you know if the climber is grabbing as soon as you start moving the bottom section up the tree. some i have to about kick it free the stand is dug in so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

yea it eludes what type of tree it was but it met your description. it was an old climbing stand i borrowed. i got up there 15' and slide down 10'. happened very quick and was at the bottom before i could process what happened. i went out and bought a Summit the next week and passed over that tree despite being in the perfect spot. now with more experience you know if the climber is grabbing as soon as you start moving the bottom section up the tree. some i have to about kick it free the stand is dug in so much.

exactly. love my summit, but it's a good reminder for all of us who use them that not every tree is climber friendly. too big, too small, branches, very had wood or bark that easily peels/falls off, slanted etc.

lol it's a wonder we find good climber trees at all haha.

21 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive said it dozens of times but the thirdhand stabilizer straps are the best $20 youll spend for your climber. They keep the sections tethered as you climb and lock that sucker in when youre at height. Id also avoid red oaks, nothing bites into them

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Climbing-Stands-Stabilizer/dp/B00VR18IVY

I also have the Viper, its a great stand

My summit viper came with those.

First couple trips I was like whatever, this is silly I'm not using it. Then one day on a fairly thin tree while leaning over a little bit the top section spun around the tree a bit with the bottom not moving. That's never fun at 15'. At all. Now I am religious about this. After ascending I strap it on snug and after descending wrap it around the bar a bunch of times so that it's always attached to the tree.

The only gotcha I've had is that if it's REALLY snug and my weight is entirely on the top section (which is rare), it can pull the bottom one up a bit more than it should.

Last year is first time my climber has fallen out from under me, which also isn't fun. But it's made much less fun without a harness, which I'm glad I had on.

I still love my climber and the pic above posted by otiscopaul is the best tree, but really I've been able to climb anything with a good looking trunk, even if some bark is more suited than other.

I replaced the BS OEM straps on my viper with MOLLE straps from ebay and it's a MILLION times more comfy to walk with.

Also, if you get the Summit, use tape to cinch down the zipper buckles unless you want them incessantly tapping and clicking on things.

I personally climb up with a backpack that has a bow/gun holder and I strap the bow/gun to the back. I know the "proper" form is to leave them on the ground and pull them up with a string. I simply have no interest in that.

I also bought this for my Viper. Only had a chance to use it once:

https://www.sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html

Honestly, it's a damn genius idea, and the execution is amazing. I leave it in the car, but it saves having to cart around an entire cart, and I have taken it in field a few times attached to the climber including a backpack on top of that! Only possible because of the Molle straps for proper carrying this huge amount of weight.

Edited by Core

• 2 weeks later...
My summit viper came with those.
First couple trips I was like whatever, this is silly I'm not using it. Then one day on a fairly thin tree while leaning over a little bit the top section spun around the tree a bit with the bottom not moving. That's never fun at 15'. At all. Now I am religious about this. After ascending I strap it on snug and after descending wrap it around the bar a bunch of times so that it's always attached to the tree.
The only gotcha I've had is that if it's REALLY snug and my weight is entirely on the top section (which is rare), it can pull the bottom one up a bit more than it should.
Last year is first time my climber has fallen out from under me, which also isn't fun. But it's made much less fun without a harness, which I'm glad I had on.
I still love my climber and the pic above posted by otiscopaul is the best tree, but really I've been able to climb anything with a good looking trunk, even if some bark is more suited than other.
I replaced the BS OEM straps on my viper with MOLLE straps from ebay and it's a MILLION times more comfy to walk with.

The ones it came with aren’t the same, trust me. The thirdhand connect the top to the bottom on each side and when you get to height you pull them tight and the stand is rock solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1