Little Freak-Nasty...

Last October I had an awesome little yearling 10-pt. start showing up on my  trailcams on a farm that I hunt. I named him "Baby Freak-Nasty" and kept my  fingers crossed that he would beat the odds and make it through the hunting season...

IM000088-1yyy.jpg

IM000505dd.jpg

Post season scouting revealed that he had indeed made it through the orange army!!! His rack was busted up but he was still very much alive!!! I couldn't wait to see him as a 2 year old...

019hh.jpg

Well, here he is.  He's officially graduated from "Baby Freak-Nasty" to "Little Freak-Nasty",  I'd sure love to see him around next year!!!

July 4th:

IMAG0134dfd.jpg

July 8th:

IMAG0303-1fgfgf.jpg

IMAG0301-1rere.jpg

Hopefully, he'll countinue to drop by my cam set-up over the next few weeks.

He's looking nice but I'm not so sure that's the same deer.  There's a notch in his right ear in this years pics , but I can't see it in last years, unless he got it after your pics from last year. Maybe it's there in your first pics and I just can't see it. Just sayin this might be a differnet deer. 

Dave, there's no doubt that it's the same deer.  He's in a bachelor group with two other 2 year old bucks that he has been traveling with since late December of last year.  Quite often, tears and nicks in a buck's ears are the easiest way for me to keep track of a particular deer over time, but you really can't compare a furred-up winter deer's ear to that of a summertime one.  Like you said, he may have developed that rip in his right ear since the pics from last winter, or you just couldn't see it in the pics from last year with fur around his ear?

Sweet...

Looks like 'Little Freak Nasty' has a drop tine started on his right side. 

Hey - that field looks like the one next to ours in... Rathbone  ???

He's got a drop on each side. 

This farm is in Pulteney, not Rathbone...

I knew it wasn't next to ours...  ;)  (whew).  What a beautiful buck - I hope he becomes 'Mr. Big Freak Nasty' soon and the Hunting Gods smile upon you with a 10 yard broadside shot.  What a story you have developing with the photos... and then perhaps with the mount.  Best of luck to you WNY Bowhunter.

Thanks for the kind comments Muzzy.  Developing a history with a particular deer is what makes running trailcams so much fun for me.  I had 7 bucks last summer at this same farm that I had pics of over consecutive years.  Here's a couple of them (sadly, the first one got whacked in one of the neighbor's deer drives and the other was poached at night on Nov. 2)...

2010pics2.jpg

Pictures1-1rt.jpg

Those are a couple of great bucks!  How do you know the date it was poached on?

My friend's father (the landowner) watched it happen @ 1:30 AM and found the buck (aka "Black Face") laying out in the cornfield the next morning with a bullethole through his shoulders.  I had a pic of him chasing does an hour earlier across the road...

006rtr.jpg

Here are a couple more that I'm watching at the same location...

I got two pics of this buck back on 6/15.  He should be a looker by now.  Last year he was a beautiful 2 year old 8-pt.

IM000055fgffrrr.jpg

This guy is another two year old.  He was a mediocre 5-pt. last as a yearling.  The pic is from 7/9, he's grown a lot in the last week and a half.  By the looks of it, he'll be wide but probably not too tall...

IMAG0492tyt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought that I'd update this post with new pics.  He's  been playing hard to get for the past two weeks now. Finally, got him on a new  cam set-up yesterday morning. Looks like he's about done now, except for maybe a  little growth left in his G3's, beams and drops. Please make it 'til next year  little buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM000167yghdhgdh.jpg

width=321 height=276http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/WNYBowhunter/IM000168yururur.jpg[/img]

Man, hes gonna be a "heart attack buck" next year if he makes it! It would kill me to pass that guy up this year, even knowing hes only 2 1/2.  ???

I would feel totally guilty if I killed a young buck with so much potential.  He gets a free pass from me this fall.  So does his bachelor group buddy, "Wide Boy," another great looking 2 year old that I've been watching since last summer...

IM000178.jpg

Man, hes gonna be a "heart attack buck" next year if he makes it! It would kill me to pass that guy up this year, even knowing hes only 2 1/2.  ???

I would feel totally guilty if I killed a young buck with so much potential.  He gets a free pass from me this fall.  So does his bachelor group buddy, "Wide Boy," another great looking 2 year old that I've been watching since last summer...

IM000178.jpg

Yeah, Id pass on him as well, but it would be tough lol

Here I thought you were talking to yourself and i just realized one was bowhunter and one was buckhunter lol.  Nice deer for sure and seeing the potential you have going on that land I would let him walk for sure.  Keep my fingers crossed and hope to see him on trail camera in the winter.  Question for you though, what makes you so positive this is the same deer that you names little freak nasty?  I keep looking at these pictures and see nothing thats stand out that it is the same one.  The antlers are alot different than the previous year, the shape and arrangement of points are different as well.  Not saying it isnt just wondering what details you are looking at that you came to this conclusion.

I got pics of this him in late Dec and early January, meaning he made it through gun season.  He was part of a bachelor group of 3 yearling bucks.  These three are still currently running together in the same spot as they were during the winter.

Honestly, I don't believe that his rack is too different.  Last year he has matching non-typical points growing inwards right in front of his G3's.  This year the matching drops are in the same location just growing down instead of in. 

7-28-11.jpg

IM000178.jpg

Yeah, Id pass on him as well, but it would be tough lol

Well , this old fart wouldn't give him a pass ! alt=my sidehttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/2cents.gif[/img]