What to plant on a large trail?

Hey all,

Quick Q, what should I plant on a large trail like the pic below?  Its not going to be limed or fert, but would like something that deer may eat and would help prevent any erosion.  Any thoughts?

[smg id=189]

[smg id=190]

Birdsfoot trefoil. I had a small field of it that I turned into a pond. The pond failed so I had it filled in. Long story short, the topsoil wound up 10 feet under and the subsoil (clay and gravel and shale) wound up on top. guess what the first thing was that grew on that crappy dirt ...... that's right, birdsfoot trefoil. I'd swear that stuff would grow on cement. Inside of two years that field was covered with it. I've seen it grow in full sun, and I've seen it grow in shade. I would guess that it would have no problem growing on those roadways. That dirt looks great compared to the stuff in my field after the pond was filled in.

The deer seem to like it. They are out their grazing in that field all the time so they must not hate it. The only problem you might encounter is if they started to be randomly drawn to those roadways. depending on how long they are, that might tend to distribute the deer around the property so that you would lose any predictibility. Kind of like a huge oak woods when all the trees are producing acorns.

Doc

sure why not?

i mean at a minimumi would just order some PH Fert from biologic and just put that down with your blend, its simple and not pricey. ive put it down with maximum after i tilled a strip plot on an old logging road and beleive it or not it came up great.

my other plots ive took the time to fert and lime with biologic comes up beautiful as well. i also bought there soil tester as well to just do quick checks on the soil right n the spot. ive never had an issue growing a strip plot on a logging road or what not with just bare necesities. i would still reomend some kind of fert or ph controller. i wouldnt want to just put seed down and hope for the best.

keep in mind it might also take a few time of planting there for it to become a success. i would also try HOT SPOT, that worked well for me on strip plots with minimul work so long you have good seed/soil contact.

Here I suppose it depends on the light available...I had a spot I'd worked for 4 yrs and couldn't get anything to take...called WTI and they suggested secret spot...nope that was a bust as well...mind you 4 yrs of ground breaking weed killing and lime...then I found what is in the pic....Sucra seed...high sugar rye and orchard grass with red and wht clovers ...I planted in late March....

a good rule of thumb for trail plots is if you have weeds or brush or anything growing in that spot already then there is adequate light to support the growth of your planting. If the ground is bare and mostly dirt and it seems like it would be an easy planting for you chances are it might but that spot may also not get enough sun to grow a strip plot....

cover is great for deer, especially near a food source. Now if you put a small watering hole in near that plot and have enough cover near by where deer can feel comfortable and safe transitioning between the 3 now you have yourself a little honey hole...

but for strip plots, if you can open the canopy up a little bit and shed some light on your freshly planted foodplot, that would be that much more beneficial for you come deer season...