New 6.5 Grendel build

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

wonder if anyone here shoots that far to chime in. i don't have a setup to reach out that far to play and find out. might not even have the skill idk.

From the reading ive done, barometric pressure is what changes at elevation to cause a difference in impact height. So the higher in elevation the lower the barometric preasure will be most likely, allowing the bullet to travel "easier" through the air allowing less drop.

problem with mine is i can't dial that much in with flat rings and bases, plus i don't have a good gun in the right caliber to reach out that far efficiently. most i know of have the scope mounted to a 20MOA base or rings with dials that can really be spun with some kind of zerostop or just a bump washer under the dial that works almost the same way. what you said makes sense. in my app i can change elevation, pressure, humidity, temp, etc. all independently. so i changed the elevation and left rest all the same and it still changed quite a bit so now i'm curious. ...and mostly want a rifle to shoot that far now. lol  i think there's a couple spots i could get 1000 yards but not legally. i'd be shooting over a roadway that's out of sight down below. basically both cases i'd be shooting hill/mountain top to mountain top.

My scope in sitting in a warne 20moa 1 piece mount. Again this scope isnt going to be taking me to 1000 yards, looking at maybe a used burris xtr2 or if i go new maybe a nikon fx1000. I could save some cash buying the nikon. I may splurge on a Timney calvin elite trigger.  So much more to do, and lots more shooting to do.

8 hours ago, TACC said:

Was there a reason you chose 6.5 Grendel over the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, to fit in the smaller, and lighter ar 15 platform. As the rifle sits now its 12lbs. Also the side charge upper i wanted is not available in a ar10 platform that im aware of.

• 1 month later...

Another piece added to the puzzle today. Timney calvin elite trigger. 1.5lb pull, incredibly adjustable for trigger position. Came with 4 different trigger shoes, they can be adjusted front to back and left and right. I have this adjusted all the way forward and slightly turned out to the left. Feels great, cant wait to shoot with it.

20190123_145813.jpg

36 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Another piece added to the puzzle today. Timney calvin elite trigger. 1.5lb pull, incredibly adjustable for trigger position. Came with 4 different trigger shoes, they can be adjusted front to back and left and right. I have this adjusted all the way forward and slightly turned out to the left. Feels great, cant wait to shoot with it.

20190123_145813.jpg

Zeek is this the same Grendel you listed for sale?

• 1 month later...

Rifle got new glass that will allow me to get the little 6.5 to 1000 yards. Nikon black fx1000 4-16×50 mrad reticle. Hopefully taking a long range/prs style class this spring in batavia.

Also special thanks to lawdawz for the gun vise. Works great.

20190305_112721.jpg

20190305_113301.jpg

20190305_112747.jpg

20190305_112928.jpg

Edited by Gencountyzeek
  • Like 2

Took the rifle to 300 yards today. Was happy with the group. Only 40 rounds down it so far. Saving my pennies up for a trigger now.
2054142774_Screenshot_20181219-140148_RangeBuddy.thumb.jpg.1bb7ac307b0021ca880e21794202c53c.jpg
What app is this? You may have mentioned it in the thread...but I didn't see it when skimming through.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

POTF shooting range is looking to hold one.

Wow if they do would you please share the info I would 100% make the drive for something like that... that place looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Little follow up on the class in batavia i mentioned. Its only $40, he said he will have more info coming out in the next week. They are only taking 20 people so if you are interested i would definitely email them. 

That is cheap.  Thanks Zeek.  I sent an email.  Since the creedmore is not here yet, might be time to work with the Valkyrie assuming I can get into the class.

Edited by moog5050

20 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That is cheap.  Thanks Zeek.  I sent an email.  Since the creedmore is not here yet, might be time to work with the Valkyrie assuming I can get into the class.

It should do great. Ill probably make a trip out there before the class to get good dope out to 700 yards. Really want to shoot my rifle now but it would be nice to do that when the temps are above 30*. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

It should do great. Ill probably make a trip out there before the class to get good dope out to 700 yards. Really want to shoot my rifle now but it would be nice to do that when the temps are above 30*. 

Let me know.  Maybe I can meet you out there.  I definitely have no way of doping out that far before then without making that trip. 

• Like 1