Ignorance in America

Not sure what you mean by teachers having their hands full... but when I was in school we had 30 kids in a class... the teachers then had no problem teaching that many kids... and we all could read by the 1st or 2nd grade... someone needs to tell me why its so much tougher for teachers when they have less students in the classes and way more teachers than I had.

Not sure what you mean by teachers having their hands full... but when I was in school we had 30 kids in a class... the teachers then had no problem teaching that many kids... and we all could read by the 1st or 2nd grade... someone needs to tell me why its so much tougher for teachers when they have less students in the classes and way more teachers than I had.

My great grandmother taught, grandmother taught, mother taught and wife is certified to teach. My great grandmother had classes of 50+ and never had an issue. By the time my mom was ready to retire she had kids that routinely hit, kicked, spit, swear and do every damn thing opposite of what was said.

My great grandmother had consequences she could dole out and if that wasn't enough i will guarantee you the kid would get what was coming to them at home.

Now days what are you going to do?

And if you have parents that don't give a damn your up a creek without a paddle and you will most likely get the blame.

You can argue that the quality of the teachers has gone down hill and I am not saying they are all spectacular but the quality of the parents isn't exactly a shining star either.

There i corrected my spelling so it look like my mom dun learned me good.

My great grandmother taught, grandmother taught, mother taught and wife is certified to teach. My great grandmother had classes of 50+ and never had an issue. By the time my mom was ready to retire she had kids that routinely hit, kicked, spit, swear and do every damn thing opposite of what was said.

My great grandmother had consequences she could dole out and if that wasn't enough i will guarantee you the kid would get what was coming to them at home.

And if you have parents that don't give a damn your up a creek without a paddle and you will most likely get the blame.

You can argue that the quality of the teachers has gone down hill and I am not saying they are all spectacular but the quality of the parents isnt exactly a shining stare either.

I agree where are the parents? Education is not only the teachers job but equally the parents responsibility. The kids these days are out of control and when you complain the parents side with the kids and don't back the teachers. No win situation...

Dave

I think that the fact that society has allowed the kids to take charge is a major reason..

When I was a kid if you acted up in school you got the snot slapped out of you, either by the teacher, the principal, or both, and when you got home your parents made you EXTRA sorry...

Now , not only can the teachers not touch the kids, but if thier PARENTS use corporal punishment on thier own kids they can be arrested...And the rotten little bastards KNOW it!!...

Something is WAY wrong there...

You can argue that the quality of the teachers has gone down hill and I am not saying they are all spectacular but the quality of the parents isn't exactly a shining star either.

There i corrected my spelling so it look like my mom dun learned me good.

Yeah I agree that the teachers hands are tied when it comes to disciplining problem kids... but i think a good teacher knows how to gain respect even from the bad students... sometimes those bad kids need to get a little encouragement that is lacking at home... give a bad kid some self worth and make him feel like he's got a chance and you gain a lot of respect... I remember some of my better teachers being very good at gaining the trust of troubled students.

My great grandmother taught, grandmother taught, mother taught and wife is certified to teach. My great grandmother had classes of 50+ and never had an issue.......

Our graduating class was very close to 50 students. No there was no splitting that class in two or anything so the teachers could handle things, or so we would get some sort of a "better education". But we did turn out a few doctors, lawyers, engineers, and teachers, and were never deprived of anything of any real educational value.

Interestingly enough, classes today (at the same school) are graduating only a slightly higher class size, but we have more than twice as many teachers. Further we now support a whole other school (an elementary school) that wasn't there when I went there. And of course there is more than twice the administrative personel, and more buses, and more bus runs (an early bus and a late bus). And of course they have other absolutely necessary items like a swimming pool, tennis courts and nothing but the best sports fields. And of course our gymnasium/auditorium has given way to separate facilities.

Ah, but it was all worth it with the superior education they are now providing ..... right? WRONG!!!! Graduating percentages have gone down. Percentages of students going on to college have declined (even with today's improved financial resources). We have students who can't spell, have difficulty reading and can't handle fundamental math. And, according to some of the state studies, our school has been evaluated as being in the upper third in terms of quality of education in the area.

Things have gone terribly wrong and we don't seem to know how to fix it. Meanwhile, some foriegn countries that used to be considered "third world" are now taking over the engineering and manufacturing activities of U.S. corporations. We had better figure out how to "fix it" pretty soon or we will be becoming the third world country. Is there ignorance in America? You bet ..... the best ignorance that money can buy.

My great grandmother taught, grandmother taught, mother taught and wife is certified to teach. My great grandmother had classes of 50+ and never had an issue.......

Our graduating class was very close to 50 students. No there was no splitting that class in two or anything so the teachers could handle things, or so we would get some sort of a "better education". But we did turn out a few doctors, lawyers, engineers, and teachers, and were never deprived of anything of any real educational value.

Interestingly enough, classes today (at the same school) are graduating only a slightly higher class size, but we have more than twice as many teachers. Further we now support a whole other school (an elementary school) that wasn't there when I went there. And of course there is more than twice the administrative personel, and more buses, and more bus runs (an early bus and a late bus). And of course they have other absolutely necessary items like a swimming pool, tennis courts and nothing but the best sports fields. And of course our gymnasium/auditorium has given way to separate facilities.

Ah, but it was all worth it with the superior education they are now providing ..... right? WRONG!!!! Graduating percentages have gone down. Percentages of students going on to college have declined (even with today's improved financial resources). We have students who can't spell, have difficulty reading and can't handle fundamental math. And, according to some of the state studies, our school has been evaluated as being in the upper third in terms of quality of education in the area.

Things have gone terribly wrong and we don't seem to know how to fix it. Meanwhile, some foriegn countries that used to be considered "third world" are now taking over the engineering and manufacturing activities of U.S. corporations. We had better figure out how to "fix it" pretty soon or we will be becoming the third world country. Is there ignorance in America? You bet ..... the best ignorance that money can buy.

To reiterate what has already been said, you can spend all the money you want on schools, teachers, administrators, etc. but unless the parents get involved the school system will not churn out more educated individuals.  In today’s society, very few parents take the time to work with their children at home.  In addition to this the “politically correct” movement of the 1990’s has KILLED any chance of disciplining disruptive students.  My wife has had children throw their desk and chairs at her, brought them to the office, and the child threw a table at the principal!  This was a 7th grader!  The child got expelled for 5 days!  He learned that he could do whatever he wanted and in addition got a week off of school!  In my day the principal would have given me the paddle and I would have went home to IRATE parents that would have beat my butt!  But we were also raised to respect people.  In today‘s society, no one has respect for anyone any more.  It’s a shame; this once great country has gone to the dogs.

While I’m up on the soap box, I’d like to ask everyone to get involved with your local schools.  I take several vacation days from work and volunteer at my wife’s school mostly for field trips.  GET INVOLVED!  It really does make a difference!

Doc.. I graduated in a class of nearly 500 students... today my HS graduates only about 250 with twice the teachers, twice as big of a school building, and twice the budget... figure that one out!! I can't! :)

Joe, what strikes me is how people in the past did more with less. Now they do less with more.

Dave

And I know the suburbanites like to puff out their chests and point to the plushness of their schools and all the luxuries that their tax money supplies. But the fact is that they are still cranking out a heavy percent of idiots and all they have bought with their excessive amounts of tax money is institutions of babysitting until their offspring reaches an age where they can off-load them on the rest of society.

wow, that's bitter ....... sorry ....... lol.

• Like 1

And I know the suburbanites like to puff out their chests and point to the plushness of their schools and all the luxuries that their tax money supplies. But the fact is that they are still cranking out a heavy percent of idiots and all they have bought with their excessive amounts of tax money is institutions of babysitting until their offspring reaches an age where they can off-load them on the rest of society.

wow, that's bitter ....... sorry ....... lol.

Bitter maybe, but the truth! I'd rather puff my chest about my two productive boys that have both graduated from college and gone on to good careers... a little parenting does go a long way!

• 5 months later...

Using the president's words himself only point out how stupid todays population is,

At the time, Obama called raising the debt limit "a sign of leadership failure." Out on the campaign trail in July 2008, he suggested the move was downright un-American.

"The problem is that the way Bush has done it in the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion from the first 42 presidents. No. 43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome. So we now have over $9 trillion of debt that we are going to have to pay back. $30,000 for every man woman and child. That's irresponsible, that's unpatriotic,"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/30/as-debt-ceiling-skyrockets-obama-no-longer-calling-bush-increases-unpatriotic/#ixzz1kymAtFB8

People voted him in for the exact opposite of what he prmised and is doing. You could only pull this one off on a nation of idiots.