Squirrel hunting- 44 days!

This is the last one I got before the end of season last year...still have a few in the freezer to cook up but can't wait until season opens...I hunt them at camp early and then here after I stop deer hunting...I like hunting them in snow..and camp is just sick with them...oaks... beech...apples and iron wood with some sweet hickory thrown in for good measure...

Nice one Grow.

love to squirrel hunt. gets me "prepared" for the rest of the hunting and trapping seasons. my great-grandmother used to make a squirrel and dumpling dish. tryed to make it but, the dumplings never seem to come out right. but i eat all i kill and save the tails for mepps. :drinks:

Whats the deal with "mepps" , I saw a few years ago about sending in squirrel tails for a few lures ... is that how it works ?

the mepps web site has all the details. you can get lures or a check. i save mine in an airtight container in the freezer til i have what i want to send in (about 2 sometimes 3 years). just open the lid and drop them in. no need to salt or remove the bone. the last time i sent the tails they paid for shipping even. you wont get rich or fill your tackle box, just something more to think about in the "off" season related to hunting. :drinks:

Edited by fishuntrapper

• 3 weeks later...

All of these ghetto squirrels are running around, teasing me, sucking up bird seed, living in people's attics, and leaching off of society. These are the welfare squirrels, with no concept of what it means to work for a nut. I think they would taste like old cigarettes.

looking foward to it. It will be my first year hunting squirrel. I'm bringing my 12 year old and a couple .22's Planning on alot of deer scouting too

You'll have a blast, I think a lot of people forget how much fun squirrel hunting can be. Good luck.

I haven't squirrel hunted since I was a kid... but this weekend, being that it is opening weekend for squirrel and I wanted to scout for deer, I think I'll bring the bow for practice and hopefully catch a small meal.

Only thing is, going on public land, and should I be worried about carrying a bow to shoot squirrel with while doing some scouting for deer season? Was thinking I'd leave a written note on the car window 'squirrel hunting'.

As ong as you carry small game tips, what can they say? Hard to poach deer with a blunt head.

Squirrels are tough with the bow especially when stalking without fufu arrows. They don't tend to sit still much when they're on the ground. Once, while coming back from a deer hunt, I tried to take a chipmunk that was sitting on a stump about 15-20 yards away. He jumped my shot. All they need to do is jump an inch (half their body width). My arrow went right pass where he was a split second ago, dug into the dirt, and hit a buried rock. Broke my broadhead. I won't take a shot at one again with small game tips.

lol, you sound like my hunting partner. he did the same for squirrel last year and missed.

don't have blunt tips, might pick them up at gander if i got time on the way up, otherwise was gonna use field tips.

i have a real old .22 that i used to take my first rabbit and squirrel when i was a kid, but the scope is so off and damaged. i might just remove the scope and test the iron sights... yea, bow is gonna be real tough on those critters.

I have these.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Bludgeon-Blunt-Point-100-Grain/productDetail/Specialty-Points/prod999901360323/cat100556

They suck. They don't fly straight. Not very aero-dynamic so they tend to wobble in flight.

I might get these to try them out:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=419541

but I'm not stressing it enough to actually go out looking for them or paying shipping and handling.