Squirrel hunting- 44 days!

Anybody else out there looking forward to squirrel season? Even with all the other game we have to hunt, squirrel is still my favorite.  Weather is great, and game is everywhere.  I hunt in Naples, Ontario county.  Favorite gun is my Ruger 77/22 with a 4X Tasco.  Squirrel stew!!

High Tor?

we go there during bow season Probably next year we will take a day to plink some Tree Rats Love my Ruger 10/22 soon to pick up a take-down

Edited by gfdeputy2

I have a couple of packages of squirrel parts frozen in water in ziplocs to finish up..

After that I'm looking forward to the season .Lots of nuts this years, so concentrations of squirrels might be a little harder to find..

I also have a few parts that need shipping. I hope they kept well over the course of the year. Hoping to get my 30 by this year.

I also have a few parts that need shipping. I hope they kept well over the course of the year. Hoping to get my 30 by this year.

Shipping ? I assume that you provide squirrels to someone who likes to eat them ?

Cool...They are excellent..I usually shoot between 30 and 40 per season and I LOVE to eat the little rodents..I devour most of them myself.

I have a T-Shirt that reads... SQUIRREL.. The OTHER White Meat ...<<grin>>..

• Like 2

Shipping ? I assume that you provide squirrels to someone who likes to eat them ?

Cool...They are excellent..I usually shoot between 30 and 40 per season and I LOVE to eat the little rodents..I devour most of them myself.

I have a T-Shirt that reads... SQUIRREL.. The OTHER White Meat ...<>..

Pygmy, if you'd like some, you're welcome to some of mine this season.

Speaking of shipping how many of you have know about this?

http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/

Squirrel Tail Payment Information

Most folks that send us squirrel tails double their value by trading them for Mepps lures. All-in-all, not a bad deal. They get a great day afield and get to enjoy the stew, too. Then they take the part they used to throw away, offer it to us to recycle and we send them Mepps spinners in return. What a deal!

Shipping refunded on 50 tails or more. Ship by UPS or First Class mail only. No refund on insurance charges or service fees charged by independent mailing services.

For all good quality tails we pay the following:

• Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails
    • 16 ¢ each — under 100
    • 19 ¢ each — over 100
    • 21 ¢ each — over 500
    • 22 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Premium Tails
    • 20 ¢ each — under 100
    • 23 ¢ each — over 100
    • 25 ¢ each — over 500
    • 26 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Red Squirrel Tails (Hair at the base of the tail must be at least 1" long)
    • 8 ¢ each — under 100
    • 9 ¢ each — over 100
    • 10 ¢ each — over 500
    • 11 ¢ each — over 1000

Please follow these instructions carefully:

1. Tails are best on squirrels taken after October 1st.
  2. Do NOT remove the bone from the tail. Deboned and split tails have no value.
  3. Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.
  4. Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry in a curled position cannot be used.
  5. Keep tails away from flies. Best storage is in a freezer. Do not send tails that have been exposed to flies.
  6. Do not put tails in a plastic bag for storage or shipment. They could heat up and spoil.
  7. The best time to ship is during cold weather months (Jan, Feb, & Mar). Dried squirrel tails may be shipped anytime.
  8. Put your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and tail count inside each package.
  9. Send your tails to:
       Sheldons', Inc.
       626 Center St.
       Antigo, WI 54409-2496
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of shipping how many of you have know about this?

http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/

Most folks that send us squirrel tails double their value by trading them for Mepps lures. All-in-all, not a bad deal. They get a great day afield and get to enjoy the stew, too. Then they take the part they used to throw away, offer it to us to recycle and we send them Mepps spinners in return. What a deal!

Shipping refunded on 50 tails or more. Ship by UPS or First Class mail only. No refund on insurance charges or service fees charged by independent mailing services.

For all good quality tails we pay the following:

• Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails
    • 16 ¢ each — under 100
    • 19 ¢ each — over 100
    • 21 ¢ each — over 500
    • 22 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Premium Tails
    • 20 ¢ each — under 100
    • 23 ¢ each — over 100
    • 25 ¢ each — over 500
    • 26 ¢ each — over 1000
  • Red Squirrel Tails (Hair at the base of the tail must be at least 1" long)
    • 8 ¢ each — under 100
    • 9 ¢ each — over 100
    • 10 ¢ each — over 500
    • 11 ¢ each — over 1000

Please follow these instructions carefully:

1. Tails are best on squirrels taken after October 1st.
  2. Do NOT remove the bone from the tail. Deboned and split tails have no value.
  3. Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.
  4. Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry in a curled position cannot be used.
  5. Keep tails away from flies. Best storage is in a freezer. Do not send tails that have been exposed to flies.
  6. Do not put tails in a plastic bag for storage or shipment. They could heat up and spoil.
  7. The best time to ship is during cold weather months (Jan, Feb, & Mar). Dried squirrel tails may be shipped anytime.
  8. Put your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and tail count inside each package.
  9. Send your tails to:

Sheldons', Inc.

626 Center St.

Antigo, WI 54409-2496

looks like im gonna make a few bucks this yr... me and my bro are prob gonna head out tommorow

• 2 weeks later...

took my 5 year old daughter out the other night behind our house for a about an hour. went and sat under some apple trees hoping t see something and that we did.. Had a nice doe walk up to about 20feet away til my little girl started talking to me about it. She stomped, and blew at us and walked off. Had 2 more deer within 50 yards of us for about 10 min watching us and then they took off. Then she saw a squirrel running across the ground so I shot at it when it stopped up a tree. Silly me forgot the good ol' .22LR had been in the cabinet all summer and last season the scope got bumped hard last use. Needless to say i missed him. But it was a great little outing with my little girl and she had a blast, all in all thats what mattered most.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...