Squirrel hunting- 44 days!

usually gut then but depends where i am skin at home just make a slice big enough to clean out in the woods when i do skin if not keeping i slice the length of the back from head to tail the pull each side down over feet and cut off at joint

Hmmm...that seems like a nice easy way to do it. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.

I also use a razor blade , but sometimes a scalpel. When you gut it watch that the bladder doesn't leak on the meat. Seems to me that their bladders are usually full.

I gut them straight down the belly very soon after I shoot them . I skin ,and bag the meat and put them in a cooler on ice before I leave for home.. I also bag the skin because I don't want fleas in my car

Grey squirrel skins are tough, but I never have a problem gutting/skinning with a single edge blade.

I debone the tail for fly tying and I used to tan the skin, to mount them,or to make pouches because the skin is strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a couple of hours to kill so I drove up to Sterling Forest for my first action this season. Hunt between 3PM to 4:30PM. Saw a few squirrels. Tons of chipmunks. (Anyone know what the rules are for chipmunks?) Shot one squirrel. Very top of a tree. Maybe 20 yards up. Bullet went through the jaw and exited the top of the head.

post-789-0-20277000-1317423562_thumb.jpg

We finally had a nice weekend and my husband and I went out after squirrels (I carried my shotgun in the chance that we flushed a grouse too). Used it as a scouting trip for turkey and deer too... Beautiful days and to our surprise we didn't see a single one (squirrel). None of the properties we hunt have hickory trees, and based on what I see in my backyard (with hickory trees), the hickory trees are the only thing they are working in my part of the county right now! None of the oaks seem to have any mast to them, and I couldn't find any beech nuts. This will be an interesting season for all critters-- need to figure out some food sources!

I have been so busy I never even got my sportsman yet...I'm sure I already missed out on the Doe permit.

Maybe I'll just get a small game this year...as I doubt I will get the time to put in looking for Deer.

I like to pop out the guts and skin later...just easier and gets me back to hunting sooner. Once home I pop off the feet, run a line down the back and gently pull off the skin, cutting where I need to so I don't lose any meat.

Then I wash them up good...dip in a little egg, bread crumbs and either bake or fry for a nice quick snack. Otherwise...I boil and toss cut up bits into anything...tomato sauce, stew, soup...it's all good.

Generally, I pack a big zip-lock plastic bag (gallon size??) and butcher them right on the spot after shooting them. Everything just seems easier when they are still warm. What I do is make approx. a 1-1/2" slit in the hide across the back. Then working a couple finger under each side of the slit until I can get a good grip and then just pull the hide apart in opposite directions. It all takes a couple of seconds, Then I open up the belly and strip out the guts. Chop off the feet and tail and into the bag he goes. And then I am ready for the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it out 2 weekends ago. My dad and I each got one on Saturday and he got another on Sunday. Going again this weekend.

I skin by cutting through the skin around the circumference of the body, peel each half off to the feet and cut off the feet and head then cut the body open to pull out the guts.

post-1526-0-72592100-1318986665_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I finally lucked out and got that big black squirrel! Gettin him mounted and can't wait. Dyin to get back out this weekend. I decided that I'm done bow hunting for the year, got one small buck in the freezer. Now it's time to chase all them tree rats.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

The countdown begins again for me! I miss chasing them. I updated my 77/22, and put a Zeiss Diavari on it. A lot of money for a squirrel rig, but I'm really happy with it. Got a big grey mounted 2 yrs ago, & a black last year, I want to try to get a white one now.

Good luck on the white, Skillet..

I could guide you to a nice FOX squirrel, tho...I hunted a woodlot during gobbler season this year that had a bunch of them..

I usually do a lot of squirrel hunting in September..Didn't do too much last year due to my Newfoundland moose hunt..I plan to make up for it this year..

I love hunting and eating the little rodents and usually have 3 or 4 dozen in the freezer by deer season..

Good luck on the white, Skillet..

I could guide you to a nice FOX squirrel, tho...I hunted a woodlot during gobbler season this year that had a bunch of them..

I usually do a lot of squirrel hunting in September..Didn't do too much last year due to my Newfoundland moose hunt..I plan to make up for it this year..

I love hunting and eating the little rodents and usually have 3 or 4 dozen in the freezer by deer season..

I'd love to get a Fox squirrel, never seen one.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys hunt close to the city? I'd love to meet up with some of you for a hunt one of these days. Just picked up an airgun that is doing quarter-size groups at 50 yards, hoping to drop that down to dime size or single hole soon.

This is the last one I got before the end of season last year...still have a few in the freezer to cook up but can't wait until season opens...I hunt them at camp early and then here after I stop deer hunting...I like hunting them in snow..and camp is just sick with them...oaks... beech...apples and iron wood with some sweet hickory thrown in for good measure...