Need help with Sausage and Jerky

Five Seasons

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Moisture content seems to play a really big role in time. We use the 21 mm casings for snacksticks. We found they stuffed easier and we could get cheese in better with a little bigger casing. 

Get something like this and you will be set. They even have them blue tooth now so you can see it on your phone from anywhere. I use mine for grilling and in the kitchen doing chicken and about everything.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Taylor-Multi-use-Gray-Digital-Probe-Food-Thermometer-with-Timer-Feature-1470/302798823?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|DD|29-29_HOUSEWARES|NA|NA|71700000032305523|58700003835510657|92700037675004782|aud-495306490706:pla-330599027184-34721822124&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjszhBRDgARIsAH8Kgve-6zYFjW0JVXk2MNK7xCeqVAq2snEdHVzkpRLRpEefGjlEX1LpRAYaArHcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This seems like a really good deal on a vertical stuffer if you are in the market. It is SOOOO much easier with a stuffer than a grinder and we even have the foot control for the grinder.

https://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/we5lbcavesas.html

thanks culver, I actually bought my wife one of those thermometers for christmas, and i think that's what I'll try. As far as the stuffer, I fully anticipate one in my future. Just taking some baby steps haha.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

been a while since i started this journey. Added a smoker to the equation and yesterday I made a 5 pound batch of breakfast sausage and a 5 pound batch of snack sticks. I used my jerky gun with a sausage attachment, and can foresee a stuffer in my future. Wasn't super difficult, but a more time consuming having to reload every 1.5 pounds. And a good workout for the hand. Both batches were made with LEM kits which include the casings and spice mixes.

002.thumb.JPG.0d20186e9bdae1ca66ca699aac8aa155.JPG

• Like 6

For ground jerky I use Cabela’s peppered seasoning mix ( you can add pepper flakes for spicy), 5lbs venison. And just a tiny bit of water to mix up. Through the jerky gun and dehydrator for 4 hours. I pull it out when it’s still chewy but done enough. Store it in freezer in vacuum sealed bags or in my case eat it all.

i will say that the snack sticks we didn't freeze have been holding up great in the fridge. Very pleased. Not quite costanza's, but still good. The breakfast sausuage is a little dry. I'm not sure if it was me, or if it's just the fact that it's 80% venison and not full pork or chicken like the grocery store. Still good, but my only real minor gripe.

Jerky has to come.out of oven method still very flexible where it doesnt break, it will continue to lose moisture as it cools. You simply.left in to long , I do not use a closed door at all and about 30 min a side ,checking for flexibility as it nears completion. Adding more time if required. Salt is heavy in jerky and cure so it will last long time, mine never last more than a day or two so if you have same problem just cut back on cure added [or salt.if recipe called for it.. no reason to make it last 5 months if your eating it in 2 days 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You can use ,teriyaki or any other liquid in place of water to improve flavor as well in your jerky..

Worchestshire ,soy, teriyaki, brown sugar and crushed red pepper all get added to store bought hot n sweet mix for me with no water added

39 minutes ago, Belo said:

i will say that the snack sticks we didn't freeze have been holding up great in the fridge. Very pleased. Not quite costanza's, but still good. The breakfast sausuage is a little dry. I'm not sure if it was me, or if it's just the fact that it's 80% venison and not full pork or chicken like the grocery store. Still good, but my only real minor gripe.

When making venison sausage I do 60/40 venison and ground pork.  Gives you that sausage consistantcy and more fat. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

When making venison sausage I do 60/40 venison and ground pork.  Gives you that sausage consistantcy and more fat. 

yeah i've heard that as well. There's a part of me though that struggles with "when is wild game, no longer wild game". Ya know?

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I do but it comes out so good. I'd rather enjoy it either way and it's still mostly venison. 

agree. helps the venison last longer too. I think next season when I'm grinding I'll do a 5 pound batch of 50/50 and freeze. I'd love to be able to do everything fresh, but damn is a lot to skin, cut up, grind and package a deer. To add the sausage making step would be a bit much. So far freezing then making the sausage later on hasn't seemed to be an issue. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Belo said:

agree. helps the venison last longer too. I think next season when I'm grinding I'll do a 5 pound batch of 50/50 and freeze. I'd love to be able to do everything fresh, but damn is a lot to skin, cut up, grind and package a deer. To add the sausage making step would be a bit much. So far freezing then making the sausage later on hasn't seemed to be an issue. 

when we cut up deer we bulk vacuum seal a big bag from each deer. What normally would be ground and stew. Label it "chunk" and we do sausage on Daytona 500 weekend. This year I think it was 140#. since we had some of other stuff left over from the previous year we only did bologna and hotdogs this year. 

On 6/20/2019 at 1:07 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

when we cut up deer we bulk vacuum seal a big bag from each deer. What normally would be ground and stew. Label it "chunk" and we do sausage on Daytona 500 weekend. This year I think it was 140#. since we had some of other stuff left over from the previous year we only did bologna and hotdogs this year. 

140 pounds!? wow!