Need to plant something next weekend-help!

oats or winter wheat, with red clover. still time for turnips. oats will be a quick  draw for deer,the winter wheat will make it thru the winter and give you a bonus spring plot for turkey. putting red clover will grow into next spring and when plowed under will boost nitrogen levels for your next plot.

oats or winter wheat, with red clover. still time for turnips. oats will be a quick  draw for deer,the winter wheat will make it thru the winter and give you a bonus spring plot for turkey. putting red clover will grow into next spring and when plowed under will boost nitrogen levels for your next plot.

At this time of year, a brassica plot would be a great choice. Last week I put in a turnip plot with ladino clover , Sugar beets and Broccolli Rabe. As G-man noted adding clover will boost nitrogen when you plow it under for next fall. Best of luck.

Planting Oats this early you're taking a chance of them ranking out.  Unless you have a high deer population that won't let them get above 8-10 inches.

I love oats....the deer really hit them hard early season.  I plant them the last week in August-Labor day.  At 6-8 a bushel you can't go wrong.

yeah, now i need to get some rain and position the camera to the rest of the field.  sprayed today. may plant more brassicas, or wheat, oats or possibly clover but need amendments for the soil.  probably wheat since i have 1 ac of brassica, one of oats (trails to the fields and edges to bring them in) &  four of clover. 1 to 2 left to do. .... ... .. .. ... . 

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done planting secret spot and I cut timber today to open up an area to plant a combo of secret with two diffirant turnips....Mr.B won't let me use the chain saws when alone...so I learned how to cut down trees with my trusty stihl pole pruner ;D ...took me a few years to get to trees this big...lol...cut a lot of trees today..planting tomorrow....all the brush was made into a blind and two "cover" walls to block view of my going to stand....piled lots of 5ft logs to dry a bit then cut for fire wood