Zag

Youth baseball thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, crappyice said:


All knotted up!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my son who drove the trying run in, it's tight

  • Like 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost by one in the bottom of the 6th, fun weekend

  • Like 3

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boy pitched at Baseball Heaven out on Long Island this past Saturday and pitched a gem. Played against the Long Island Ducks, he  pitched a complete 7 inning game, gave up 1 hit, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts and a pick off at first base, only threw 71 pitches to get a win 5-0. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crappyice said:

10 pitch or inning THROUGHOUT is bananas!!! Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah at end of most games after pitching 7 hes in the high 80-90 pitch count,  this was a nice low pitch count.  Thats what should happen when all fielders do their job, makes it easier on the pitcher. Can have the best pitcher in the world but if the fielders are not making routine outs, its tuff. Good thing for the most part he has a good group of kids behind him.  Cant wait for the fall already, thats when we start again in an all wood bat league. Im not a fan of these aluminum and BBCOR bat tournaments that seem to be prevalent all over NJ and Long Island. Put a wood bat in those teams hands and im sure most would not look as good. Coming around with an aluminum bat is much easier then wood, sorry just ranting..lol..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tallied up some stats for my son this past weekend, batting Ave .642, 9 rbi's 4 walks, no strikeouts 3 home runs. 

  • Like 2

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zag said:

Tallied up some stats for my son this past weekend, batting Ave .642, 9 rbi's 4 walks, no strikeouts 3 home runs. 

Wow, thats insane. Keep at it, seems he has natural talent that cant be taught.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 15 year old opened up fall ball for his  new team yesterday and  is back with his old coach, he went 4 innings then his elbow was starting to get sore so we yanked him. When he came out it was a 2-2 game.  We took  that game with a 6-2 win over a team that was comprised mostly of 16-17 year olds. He also went 4 for 5 in batting. We split, second game lost 4-0, had a last inning rally but coulndt make it happen. All in all playing against older kids we did well and we should do very well when we go away to tournaments and they play kids their age.

20190916_104105.jpg

20190916_104045.jpg

20190916_104026.jpg

Edited by NYBowhunter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome to see some baseball happening, we passed on fall ball this yr to lesson the burden of football and baseball at the same time, now that he's out of football I wish we signed him up. His travel team for next yr starts training / practice next month!


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 6:39 AM, NYBowhunter said:

My boy pitched at Baseball Heaven out on Long Island this past Saturday and pitched a gem. Played against the Long Island Ducks, he  pitched a complete 7 inning game, gave up 1 hit, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts and a pick off at first base, only threw 71 pitches to get a win 5-0. 

 

On 8/12/2019 at 7:01 AM, crappyice said:

10 pitch or inning THROUGHOUT is bananas!!! Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive. Taking those stats to the next level:

Assuming no errors and no double plays, he faced 23 batters for 21 outs, 1 walk, 1 hit. The walk had to be at least 4 pitches and the strikeouts had to be at least 21 pitches, so that's 25 pitches at a MINIMUM to 8 batters. So he was averaging under 3 pitches per hitter for the other 15 batters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, zag said:

Awesome to see some baseball happening, we passed on fall ball this yr to lesson the burden of football and baseball at the same time, now that he's out of football I wish we signed him up. His travel team for next yr starts training / practice next month!

Thats okay, give your boy some rest time. That one month will go so fast. Best of luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

 

Impressive. Taking those stats to the next level:

Assuming no errors and no double plays, he faced 23 batters for 21 outs, 1 walk, 1 hit. The walk had to be at least 4 pitches and the strikeouts had to be at least 21 pitches, so that's 25 pitches at a MINIMUM to 8 batters. So he was averaging under 3 pitches per hitter for the other 15 batters. 

Thx for the stats, ill be sure to put it on his baseball resume...lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First tourny upon return to her old team, CHAMPS!!b3170d082b43effe60a6795ec758d00d.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  • Like 6

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on Flu-duty with one son as my wife is at the first fall baseball tourney. We are up 2-0 but the game is delayed due to....get this....deer running on the field! It’s a sign!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah ha! So this is why she volunteered for yesterday. 8:00 1st pitch in Monmouth N.J. 7:00 arrival, 5:30 departure. Ugg but good practice for Monday....uh Tuesday’s opener! One and done since they split yesterday and even with a W 5there will be three 2-1 teams and we lose the head to head tiebreaker. Hoping to avoid Met Life tailgate traffic on way home


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won a very well played baseball game 2-1. Nice weekend (3 games) for my kid. Caught all 20 innings, threw out 2 runners, went 4. -10 (should he 5-10 on an AWEFUL call!).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son had his first taste of practice for his new team. Both of his coaches are awesome, his one coach has a vast knowledge of baseball (former mlb player) and seems to be a great teacher. Tonight at the end they went thru Hit Trax, that was pretty cool, tells you a whole bunch of info, exit velocity, launch angles, I think my son's best exit velocity was 63. Now only if I had an idea how to download a video.

Edited by zag

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of exit velocity, is that pretty good for a 11 yr old?


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zag said:

Speaking of exit velocity, is that pretty good for a 11 yr old?

Some reason I don't see the edit button, also it was soft toss , if that make a difference with exit velocity.


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say im a big fan of my son's coaches on the new travel baseball team. His summer team kinda broke up after the last tourney in Aug, some kids went to another program, some just went back to their town team. Anyways his one coach joined another organization and the other coach is awesome, former mlb'er, current college pitching coach, super smart and is awesome with the kids. I'm super excited to see my son's progress this next yr. 

He hit on hit Trax the other day and his exit velocity moved up to 67mph and he doesn't even swing hard like a Nick Swisher. From what I found online it seems to be pretty good for an 11yr old.

  • Like 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I must say im a big fan of my son's coaches on the new travel baseball team. His summer team kinda broke up after the last tourney in Aug, some kids went to another program, some just went back to their town team. Anyways his one coach joined another organization and the other coach is awesome, former mlb'er, current college pitching coach, super smart and is awesome with the kids. I'm super excited to see my son's progress this next yr. 
He hit on hit Trax the other day and his exit velocity moved up to 67mph and he doesn't even swing hard like a Nick Swisher. From what I found online it seems to be pretty good for an 11yr old.

The end of the season is brutal with all the drama isn't it? Im glad your some landed in a great situation
  • Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear that for you and your son. I am at the opposite end of this youth baseball thing and my issues are different.

 

I have 1 twin who loves the game, was the catcher who threw out a runner or two per game, caught multiple games per weekend and batted 2nd(maintaining a close to 400 batting average).all in a high quality league.

He has little interest in pursuing baseball for his HS team (he is a freshman and the varsity coach wants him this season) or beyond because it would mean less crew which is what he loves and wants to do in college. However, he still wants to PLAY baseball, not be at showcases or scout days or team spotlight camps. Finding TEAMS who practice 1-2 times a week and play games at the HS level are hard to find for kids who JUST WANT TO PLAY and not be recruited or timed in the 90 or registered on the Velo machine or recorded “pop times” or designated as a PO(pitcher only) at 14 years old.

 

Every parents’ kid will be the next great scholarship player and these programs are feasting on that! Sad.

 

This has nothing to do with your son’s progress, Zag, or stats or your desire to have him do his best. Just my rant about youth baseball when they try to end the youth way too young!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:


The end of the season is brutal with all the drama isn't it? Im glad your some landed in a great situation

Haha, it was out first yr on the team so we we're clueless about the parent drama, till the last weekend tourney when the one coach mentioned to us changes were coming.  

  • Like 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Glad to hear that for you and your son. I am at the opposite end of this youth baseball thing and my issues are different.

 

I have 1 twin who loves the game, was the catcher who threw out a runner or two per game, caught multiple games per weekend and batted 2nd(maintaining a close to 400 batting average).all in a high quality league.

He has little interest in pursuing baseball for his HS team (he is a freshman and the varsity coach wants him this season) or beyond because it would mean less crew which is what he loves and wants to do in college. However, he still wants to PLAY baseball, not be at showcases or scout days or team spotlight camps. Finding TEAMS who practice 1-2 times a week and play games at the HS level are hard to find for kids who JUST WANT TO PLAY and not be recruited or timed in the 90 or registered on the Velo machine or recorded “pop times” or designated as a PO(pitcher only) at 14 years old.

 

Every parents’ kid will be the next great scholarship player and these programs are feasting on that! Sad.

 

This has nothing to do with your son’s progress, Zag, or stats or your desire to have him do his best. Just my rant about youth baseball when they try to end the youth way too young!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Didn't seem like a dig to me!! I get both sides as I've been on both sides. This past summer was out first experience on a competitive travel team and it opened our eyes to how much better baseball can be when each kid is really good. 2yrd ago my son's town team (just play ball and have fun) was terrible, team won I think 2 games and my son didn't have much fun at all and the coach was a joke on top of it. 

 


Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.