Youth baseball thread

Zag

Since my son's baseball just kicked into high gear thru early Aug I thought I'd start a thread for him and anyone else's kids or grand kids playing ball this yr. Since I have no friends besides you guys and gals I have no one else to tell. 

Tonight was his first game playing on the major fields (12u), he's still 10yrs old. He went 4-4, 5 rbi's and to top it off hit a HR on his first at bat and first swing! He made 2 great line drive catches while playing short stop and pitched pretty well. Games 2 and 3 are Saturday!

• Like 9

That's great! You got a good ball player there! That was a heck of a game! He must really enjoy playing. Is he playing Rec, Travel and Fall Ball this year?

My grandson is playing JV, he's 14 and a freshman. Along with A team travel. He's hurt right now with a winged scapula. Doing PT and hopefully will be back next week. He was pitching in the low 80s until he got hurt. (Not a throwing injury). He's also a catcher and infielder. 6'5" and 215lbs. Big kid for his age.

Love watching him play.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

That's great! You got a good ball player there! That was a heck of a game! He must really enjoy playing. Is he playing Rec, Travel and Fall Ball this year?

My grandson is playing JV, he's 14 and a freshman. Along with A team travel. He's hurt right now with a winged scapula. Doing PT and hopefully will be back next week. He was pitching in the low 80s until he got hurt. (Not a throwing injury). He's also a catcher and infielder. 6'5" and 215lbs. Big kid for his age.

Love watching him play.

Right now it's rec and travel, then summer travel with a few tournaments in Rochester and buffalo, then on at cal Ripkin in MD. Then fall ball and football again! My son sounds similar to your grandson, I think my son's 5'3 already and can almost throw 60mph, I can't imagine him throwing 80. Hope you gs heals and gets healthy!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

My journey has just begun.....my oldest started tee ball last week.
He is in absolute heaven when he is able to play ball!
He hits lefty but throws right.61e3f0b39123576cd73e2b64d2cd8bcf.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

A lefty and righty, cool deal!! Keep us posted on his progress!

Edited by zag
  • Like 1

My little league career. 

Did not play pitcher in tee ball lol 

Placed 2nd in WNY Burger King pitch hit and run. 

Played pitcher and SS.  Once beat a team 51-3 before mercy rule in place. Threw side arm pitching and had some heat at 14. 71 mph I think lol. 

Broke opposite teams coaches kids fingers as he stepped into an inside pitch. Heard his fingers crack from mound. 

I sucked at batting. 

• Like 2

I feel ANY youth sports is a great thing. With all the negative stuff out there these days, trying to influence kids, to see them get motivated about ANYTHING is a positive.

Just the social interaction, and team bonding, its a huge character builder, that will serve them well later in life.

• Like 2

My oldest decided to try softball this year. Her first game is May 4th. I was worried she would be a bit behind in skill level having not played anything up until now at the age of 9 but during practice she seems to be on the same level as her team.
53dc5aab7842417ee3fda9d34be7140f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Moho81 said:

My oldest decided to try softball this year. Her first game is May 4th. I was worried she would be a bit behind in skill level having not played anything up until now at the age of 9 but during practice she seems to be on the same level as her team.
53dc5aab7842417ee3fda9d34be7140f.jpg

Awesome, food for thought I get my son lessons for each sport, he will listen to a coach long before he listens to me. Maybe it's different mindset with girls but if she is doing well it might be a good option down the road! 

This is my first season not coaching my twin boys’ (14) travel team since they were 8. The most games they played in a season was 85 (week long Cooperstown tourney, Ripkin 3x’s, Sports at the Beach, DE) for travel plus whatever they played for rec.

Both still play for the travel program that restructured to play by graduation year and not age-its almost like they are now playing down but very appropriate for them this year-not working so hard to keep up with kids who already hit puberty.
Both pitch(first pitch strike are key and no curveballs....learn a change up and a little league “curve” but do not let your kid learn a real curveball until 15/16).
One is a corner infielder and prides himself on catching short hops. The other is a catcher who loves running the game(calls pitches, sets infield, etc)

Both are 5’10, size 12 shoe, 150 pounds and just knocking the door of puberty. Upper 60’s from 60’ but can locate their pitches(even up and in if necessary- which got me in trouble a few years back with some forum members!).

One is now rowing crew three season(main season is now) and the other still play football(center/fullback and D-end); basketball and baseball for middle school team (no JV-cut from varsity as an 8th graders this year).

The more other people can coach your kid the better. I love not coaching so far even though I still Train with them with their pitching and hitting.

• Like 3

53dc5aab7842417ee3fda9d34be7140f.jpg&key=ed9ec74a826f0b0c75db68e7323304dee530ae85a3623fcb2dba18a7db2ae7ca

You’re on a journey now, kiss your summers goodbye! And three nights a week all winterae49b74799a8478cdf6f0b06cc011598.jpg03fb30b8ef269cdf21076adb9c073426.jpg19ad36e1598503a854c2a1f8a00d2e19.jpg And don’t forget six days of school ball! See you in nine years lol44497381d17da7076391d87d5e51239e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 6

I love watching my daughter play youth soccer. It is time consuming and costly, especially now that she is on an elite travel team. They are actually off this week and I am not sure what to do with myself. I will miss it when it all comes to an end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ApexerER said:

I love watching my daughter play youth soccer. It is time consuming and costly, especially now that she is on an elite travel team. They are actually off this week and I am not sure what to do with myself. I will miss it when it all comes to an end. 

Isnt that the truth? In just a few years its all over and I will be devastated. My other daughter is all about dance and I will miss those performances as well. Especially since I get to hang with @dinorocks and @turkeyfeathers during intermission lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

2 yrs ago our son wanted to play rec soccer, he had only done it one other summer. Anyhow one game were playing a scrimmage against another team and my son was destroying it, he had something like 8-10 goals honest to God, one shot nailed the goalie right in the gut. After about the 4th or 5th goal he scored, I started getting embarrassed with each goal. Fun looking back on it now!!

• Like 1

You’re on a journey now, kiss your summers goodbye! And three nights a week all winterae49b74799a8478cdf6f0b06cc011598.jpg&key=9dc70a3cec51561498604406ba709c27023b34abe53db325fbd2ee57eabb5b4203fb30b8ef269cdf21076adb9c073426.jpg&key=70552fd797b2018a653bcafe6f08c375956324986ab1b3e49ad8ab0a1d82042019ad36e1598503a854c2a1f8a00d2e19.jpg&key=6d72165038521c345c47341a380dc2daff1b10de8b9ea6edd0f3ec9b96aabede And don’t forget six days of school ball! See you in nine years lol44497381d17da7076391d87d5e51239e.jpg&key=930e2b2fd21e1ed84280a86f41909267f626e0be7c91715524659df89413fea2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If that happens so be it but I won’t jump the gun in saying she’s going to be that good or will stick with it for more than this year. I’m just happy she decided to play. Gets her out doing more things and meeting more kids.

• Like 1

It truly never stops ... already this year I drove to Siena, SUNY Albany and west point to see my niece pitch for Colgate.
And at this very moment I am watching. 10u baseball game just cuz my kid is umping!

I used to umpire when I was a kid. It was great. $30 for doing a game a Lone and got to call balls/strikes from behind the pitcher. I even got to eject a few kids!

I used to umpire when I was a kid. It was great. $30 for doing a game a Lone and got to call balls/strikes from behind the pitcher. I even got to eject a few kids!

He’s pulling $20 a game (plus a Gatorade and hot dog!) and worked the field tonight. No blown calls but was out of position often!
The first game he was behind the plate and said he punched out a kid on a ball that bounced on the plate because he was so jacked about wanting to punch a kid out! Good times if the coaches and parents aren’t turds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

He’s pulling $20 a game (plus a Gatorade and hot dog!) and worked the field tonight. No blown calls but was out of position often!
The first game he was behind the plate and said he punched out a kid on a ball that bounced on the plate because he was so jacked about wanting to punch a kid out! Good times if the coaches and parents aren’t turds.

Lots of turds out there unfortunately especially with sports

Lots of turds out there unfortunately especially with sports

I was umping behind home and warned a kid (one of the best players in the town) for throwing his bat in his first at bat. 2nd at bat, I warned him and the coach. He had a bad habit of letting the bat fly off the backstop cage after making contact. 3rd at bat he rips a homerun (no fence, just rolled for days) and threw bat again. I wasn’t going to chase him so as he got home for his homerun I ejected him. His Dad (a known hothead) went apeshit and came onto the field. I was 16 years old umping 12 years old. I gave zero fucks and knew I had a ton of witnesses. I got right back in his face and explained the multiple warnings. He started clenching his fists so I screamed right in his face “I’m fkn 16 year old kid, what are you going to do hit a kid? Get off the field!” He stormed off and the crowd went nuts. Years a later I hit a walk-off homerun in men’s softball league against that guy’s team. It was glorious

• Like 3

I referee high level soccer from youth thru adults. In the fall is when it gets nutz......high school soccer parents are unreal.....we no longer deal with parents. We simply stop the game.......tell the coach to ask his players parent to leave or we leave. Nice and simple and quite embarrassing for the parent as they March out of the stadium.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 11:24 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I was umping behind home and warned a kid (one of the best players in the town) for throwing his bat in his first at bat. 2nd at bat, I warned him and the coach. He had a bad habit of letting the bat fly off the backstop cage after making contact. 3rd at bat he rips a homerun (no fence, just rolled for days) and threw bat again. I wasn’t going to chase him so as he got home for his homerun I ejected him. His Dad (a known hothead) went apeshit and came onto the field. I was 16 years old umping 12 years old. I gave zero fucks and knew I had a ton of witnesses. I got right back in his face and explained the multiple warnings. He started clenching his fists so I screamed right in his face “I’m fkn 16 year old kid, what are you going to do hit a kid? Get off the field!” He stormed off and the crowd went nuts. Years a later I hit a walk-off homerun in men’s softball league against that guy’s team. It was glorious

I was catching in Babe Ruth and a few kids in a row threw their bats back at me after a hit. I told the ump the next time it happened I was following the kid up the line and stomping his ass. It did, and I did. Big pile up, parents, coaches, an absolute melee. Also glorious. My father was beaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1