Anyone put their trailcam out yet?

sssurfertim

I would like to throw a cam out on LI but what do you guys use for ticks and chiggers the same coulstons spray as during the season? Also is the county parks permit for sale yet ? Or is the permit from last year still valid? I guess I have to get over my fear there will be no real difference between now and Oct.1st for bug activity. I might just spray down a dedicated scouting clothing set including shoes and hat.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stupid phone has automatic spell check and  puts whatever word it feels you meant to type I just tried chigger again and apparently it doesn't recognize it. So it defaults to that I didn't look and just posted before sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I put out our first trail cams ever a couple of weeks ago out on the Island. Going to check them first week of September. Excited to see what is on it.

As for ticks and chiggers and bugs here is a link to the product I started using last year. I sprayed it on all my hunting gear about 1 week before the season started and it lasts 6 weeks. No smell after it drys and I did not have 1 bug while in previous years it was terrible. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sawyer-Duranon-Permethrin-Insect-Repellent/714807.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbug%2Bspray%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=bug+spray&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I've had mine out for two weeks now. The first time I set it up and could only go 3 days before the anxiety got to me and I HAD to check it. Only had two does on it. This time it's been over a week and the anxiety has peaked I'm going to check it tomorrow. Hoping to get a preview of my wall mount for this year on it. This is the first year I've tried using a cam I've got an ancient moultrie but I'm thinking an upgrade is in order. I don't think it's taking pictures at night and only working half the time.

Rob, id give it some time... i wouldnt keep going in there to check the camera. the more time you give and keep out of that area the more pics you will end up with not to mention if you do have a nice deer in there and you keep going in there you might give him a headsup as to whats coming and say good bye to him... lol i know your anxious but do yourself the favor and wait.

Put the camera out yesterday and did a short scouting trip. I like to use GPS to mark sign, trails, and walking paths,etc... Then download the info to google earth. It's a good way to really get a feel for the land from a birds eye veiw and know where you actually are when you are hunting. I also layer it with a topo. So I got some of that done. Also I kicked up a few deer near where I put the cam so hopefully I have a few bucks when I check it. I also might have gotten over my fear of ticks. I set up a full clothing set with Coulston's Durawhatever and periodically checked myself, twice I had to flick pretty large ticks off my jeans not sure if they would have died had I left them alone. But when I got home I examined my white longsleeve and found about 15 of the same little guys I had on me two Sept. ago in Rocky Point. I was told then they were "newly hatched" ticks "nymphs" I think, and that I must have walked thru a nest because I had about 350 on me (with no spray and shorts and sneakers) unprepared. This time though do to the spray they were all dead. I still bagged my clothes in the garage only to be worn for scouting just in case. Here is my question I have never seen a CHIGGER is there any chance that these are CHIGGERS and not ticks. I know It is a tough pic but they kind of look like ticks and have long wisker type antanea on the front.

i believe they are chiggers... i thought they were nymph ticks as well. 6 of one half dozen of the other if you ask me. they are equally as annoying and disturbing... i use the sawyer product and i have not one problem. i picked up a few nests in one of my spots and took note to how they start to drop off an die as they try to spread. i always carry the bottle with me so i can respray when i pick them up on my pants. i noticed with the nest of hundreds if not thousands of chiggers or nymph ticks i took note that the nests usually are not suspended higher then knee high 90% of the time. Keep yourself sprayed and try to be aware of how you maneuver through the woods and you should be fine.

After two + weeks in the woods on ultra sensitive my trophy took about 6,000 pictures. My advice don't put it on extra sensitive in a hurricane.

After going through 6,000 pictures I got a pic of a really nice 10 I think I may have seen last year across the road from this spot. An 8 that I think is the one I missed last year. And the last picture is of an animal I honestly can't figure out what. To me looks like a pig.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

can't figure out how to imbed pics

Edited by LIWaterman

I checked my cam and re put out Sun. a.m. since it had a low battery when I put it out on Fri. When I left the woods I lint rolled about 100 of those dead little off of me plus found a few live ones maybe not on lng enough to die. But after looking at pics on internet they a larvae ticks, nymph is the next stage. Larvae do not contain lyme, where as nymphs poppy seed size usually do. Larvae have not had a host yet and nymph have usually a rodent and nymph will usually contain lymes. the coulstons seems to work good.

I've taken them home and looked at them under a magnifying glass. They were baby ticks. Either one sucks though.

First pic I couldn't view for some reason. Second pic looks like a fox to me.

im with you pete, either of them are equally as annoying and useless... that spray does work great tho

I took the drive out to the East end of Long Island today to check my first trail cam I ever put up. First off my spot was fine from the Hurricane which I was happy about. I got some good pictures on the Cam. Some Doe and a really nice Buck. Just have to hope he comes around during the day in October. The Does were out during the day the Bucks not yet. But had a nice size one come back a couple days ago so I am glad he is still in the area.

Edited by JimmyDaSavage