Shooting steel plates with jacketed hand gun bullets, not worth it to me.

rob-c

I was having a discussion with a coworker about shooting and he was telling me he had loaded some xtp’s in his 357 and was shooting steel plates at 13 ft with it.

I say you know it’s not recommended with jacketed bullets as the jacket can come back and injure the shooter.

He says , well no one has got hurt yet, then tells me a jacket came back and hit his son in the chest but didn’t hurt him. 

I say, it’s not worth it to me especially when one can use the many copper washed bullets out now a days.

He says well to each there own.

Yep you bet and don’t ever ask me to shoot with ya. 

• Like 2

Been researching handguns lately, I came across a video on YouTube where a guy shot a 9,40,45 at a cast iron frying pan . I thought it was careless , all 3 went through. Something about shooting steel plates that makes me nervous.

18 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Been researching handguns lately, I came across a video on YouTube where a guy shot a 9,40,45 at a cast iron frying pan . I thought it was careless , all 3 went through. Something about shooting steel plates that makes me nervous.

Wife and I shoot them all the time but with the right projectile. It’s super fun, there’s  just some thing  about hearing that plate ring. 

Edited by rob-c

There are a few people I well never shoot with because of the stupid things they do or did... I shoot with my son now and my best friend I grew up with... I taught both about guns and safety and all 3 of us are always careful what the other guy is doing... No room for careless actions when shooting...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

If you really want to shoot steel with any round it is best to hang them from a chain so when impact the bottom tips back any ricochet is  down an into the ground. I haven't seen anything come back doing it this way. 

Image result for chain helg steel pistol target

He shoots  at a club that has them mounted at a angle to deflect them down. But at 13 ft, it’s just not worth the risk. Copper jackets can do weird things,  I am sure we’ve  all seen it. 

Edited by rob-c

5 minutes ago, rob-c said:

He shoots  at a club that has them mounted at a angle to deflect them down. But at 13 ft, it’s just not worth the risk. Copper jackets can do weird things,  I am sure we’ve  all seen it. 

I agree. If their eyes are so bad they can't see the impact point at 13', they might want to try a shotgun...lol

• Like 2