DEC National Hunting and Fishing Days

38th Annual National Hunting and Fishing Day at the NYSDEC Region 8 Office, 6274 E. Avon – Lima Road, Avon, NY (Two  miles east of Exit 10 off I-390 on Route 5/20). September 24 - 25 2011. Presented by Livingston  County Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs & New York State Department  of Environmental Conservation. This annual event is aimed at the whole  family. try your hand at a variety of outdoor activities, including trap  shooting, archery, fly casting and canoeing. If shopping try one of the  commercial vendors or one of the 50 + vendors in the Sportsmen’s Flea  Market. (For information call Mark Osypian at 585-226-2889 or email  [email protected])

Not sure I want to go this year. Last year was a big disappointment. Attendance was down. Number of vendors was down. Compared to previous years it was a bust and I heard a few vendors saying that they didn't intend to show up this year. I'm not sure what the problem was (is) but as bad as it was last year, it sounded like it was going to be worse this year. Have to wait and see if anything improves.

I took one of my grandsons there last year . Not as many vendors at previous years . I was told that the DEC charges them for spots like other Flea markets and that the DEC had upped the price so many backed out . A few of the Deer Pee collectors had some deer there .

Is it worth driving to from Niagara county?

I think so. It may not be quite what it used to be, but for someone who has never attended this event, I know you will be totally impressed. For me it is getting a bit repetitive, and instead of growing it looks like it is stagnating a bit. But there are still plenty of things to see and experience for those who have never seen it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I didnt think this event could get any smaller than last year. I was wrong. No venison jerky guy, and I didnt bother standing in the looooooong line for the buffalo burgers. All I walked away with was 2 jars of Nunda Mustard and a couple of lollipops for my daughter and I bought some raffle tickets from the guys at Deer Search. I doubt Ill bother going next year, the event wasnt worth the $5 parking I paid for.

I didn't plan on going this year. I was terribly disappointed last year, and talking to the vendors, it sounded like several were planning on not showing up for this year. I guess the cost of vendor sites was an issue. like I said before, someone who had never gone before would probably have a real good time. But for me, I have been going for decades and even participated, and I have seen it continue to shrink and those things that are left are nothing new for me. So until I hear that things are improving, I will keep that event scratched off my calendar. It's too bad because I do believe that it was a valuable recruitment tool for hunting, fishing and trapping. I'm not sure who is at fault for the slide in quality, but I have to believe that it may be the DEC.

I would like to hear more about the event at Godfrey's Pond. I've never been to that one.

I went yesterday and had a fun time.Co-worker also enjoyed the event.I hadn't gone in 5-7 years but I want to go next year too. I watched some kids try shooting some clay birds and archery,sampled some food products,talked to people I can relate to and picked up an older leather arrow quiver for $10.Had a good time.Oh and the co-worker paid for parking because I drove.Beautiful weather too.