Colorado whitetails

Cory

That is good because whitetails are tastier.  I have heard that blacktails are better yet, but I never had the chance to try one.   I will not hunt or eat mule deer again, because those that I have had, tasted like sage-brush smells (at least those from the Colorado high-desert region).   I could never understand why elk from the same area taste so much better, definitely on par with NY farm-country whitetails.   Maybe the mule deer eat the sage-brush but the elk do not.   The guy who we hunted elk and mule deer with, out in Colorado, liked to hunt whitetails in NY, mainly because they tasted so much better than the mule deer back home.  

It looks like now he may be able to find some whitetails to hunt out there (He is from Steamboat Springs).   The only problem might be, If they get into the same foul tasting browse that the mule deer eat, they might end up tasting just as bad.  I have heard folks complain about the flavor of central-Adirondack "bark-eating" whitetails.  The (2) whitetail bucks and (2) does, that I have killed up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park, tasted the same as they do in WNY.  There is a bit of Ag in that area and some oak trees, and that might explain the difference.    

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

That is good because whitetails are tastier.  I have heard that blacktails are better yet, but I never had the chance to try one.   I will not hunt or eat mule deer again, because those that I have had, tasted like sage-brush smells (at least those from the Colorado high-desert region).   I could never understand why elk from the same area taste so much better, definitely on par with NY farm-country whitetails.   Maybe the mule deer eat the sage-brush but the elk do not.   The guy who we hunted elk and mule deer with, out in Colorado, liked to hunt whitetails in NY, mainly because they tasted so much better than the mule deer back home.  

It looks like now he may be able to find some whitetails to hunt out there (He is from Steamboat Springs).   The only problem might be, If they get into the same foul tasting browse that the mule deer eat, they might end up tasting just as bad.  I have heard folks complain about the flavor of central-Adirondack "bark-eating" whitetails.  The (2) whitetail bucks and (2) does, that I have killed up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park, tasted the same as they do in WNY.  There is a bit of Ag in that area and some oak trees, and that might explain the difference.    

You are totally correct with the taste assessment. I killed a mule buck 2 years ago in Colorado and that had to be the worst tasting animal. Tasted like you said pure sage bush. Antelope I have tasted was pretty bad also same taste of sage bush.

4 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Now I have zero knowledge about this but would they - Mule Deer / Whitetails - ever cross breed ?

No, they are completely different species.  It would be the same as a grizzly and a black bear cross breeding - ain't going to happen.   It all goes back to the pairs that were on Noah's ark (I don't buy the "evolution" BS).   

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

No, they are completely different species.  It would be the same as a grizzly and a black bear cross breeding - ain't going to happen.   It all goes back to the pairs that were on Noah's ark (I don't buy the "evolution" BS).   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outdoorhub.com/amp/index.php/5-signs-tell-elusive-whitetail-mule-deer-hybrid

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Now I have zero knowledge about this but would they - Mule Deer / Whitetails - ever cross breed ?

Yes they do last year a guy in camp shot a doe . It had the coat and whitetail of a whitetail but the ears of a mule. I’ll see if I still have the pic and post it.

• Like 3