Moose Medicine

Pygmy

Solon..here is where I'll be hunting. www.samandsonshuntingandfishing.com.

It's on the northern peninsula.

A good hunting buddy of mine has shot two moose with his .270 and 150 grain federal premium loads. He was very satisfied with thier performance. Both bull moose were very dead in short order.

Thanks for the info.. I will be taking pictures with my digital cam and hopefully, with the help of my lovely significant other and possibly somebody on this forum, I'll manage to get them posted, providing I am successful.

The guys that I am going with have hunted with this outfitter several times. From what I understand it is not uncommon for it to rain every day on a September hunt..

Good rain gear is right at the top of my clothing list.

I'm used to that on my north country hunts. On my 1989 float trip in AK it rained EVERY DAY enough to soak me for 14 days... Often SEVERAL times a day...If you don't like the weather, just wait half an hour..It will change.. Never saw so many rainbows in my life.

I also learned not to take any COTTON hunting clothes. Damn stuff never dries out.

I had just started looking into a bike trip there, if it rains like that then i will not do it. I seen a show last month about moose accidents and the amount in Newfoundland is unreal. I believe they said up to 800 a yr but do not remember the fatalities. My husband thought that should have been enough to change my mind, but no its the rain. Best of luck to you and can't wait to see pictures and hear any stories

I for one am really looking forward to the story and pictures from this trip.  A moose hunt is something I've kind of been thinking about for a few years.  Alaska and the Yukon are pretty much not in the cards due to prices.  I'm sure this hunt isn't cheap either but maybe more doable for me??

Good luck Dan!

Thanks, Larry....

It wasn't too long ago that a DIY moose trip to Alaska could be done door to door for about 3K. Those days are gone !  It has also become MUCH more expensive to get your antlers, capes, and meat home. 

The hunts I did 20-25 years ago kicked my butt physically, and I was in good shape then.

I could no longer do the unguided thing, and guided moose hunts in AK are around 10K and up now. I am so glad I did it while I could. They were adventures that I will never forget.