Advice for a new archery program

I know some on here have followed what the branch is doing with the Field to Fork Program.  As you can imagine this program focuses on firearms and crossbows since the learning curve and success rates would be higher than normal archery. 

Another initiative we are trying to start is new archery sponsorship in some local schools and community rec programs. I have meetings set up with both and the range of the programs could be from Elementary, middle school, high school and adult programs. I am looking for any info I can get on the best traditional bows that may be used by the largest range of participants so we get the most flexibility for the money spent. This would be traditional equipment and I am wrestling with the frame size, strength and left and right hand differences. 
I was thinking a bow like the Bear Flash, since it can be utilized by either right or left handed. I would appreciate an recommendations you all have.

Bob, I think the flash will be too small for anyone over elementary school size.  Its only 47 inch long and I am sure will stack heavy at near adult size draw lengths.  How many bows do you plan to purchase?  I would be looking for something that is closer to 68-70", draw weight around 20lbs at 28 and perhaps have both right and some left hand models available vs. trying to use a dual purpose.  You could talk to some from JOAD (junior Olympic archery program) and see what they recommend.  I believe there are a few coaches in Rochester. 

https://www.pointstothecross.com/our-classes/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Bob, I think the flash will be too small for anyone over elementary school size.  Its only 47 inch long and I am sure will stack heavy at near adult size draw lengths.  How many bows do you plan to purchase?  I would be looking for something that is closer to 68-70", draw weight around 20lbs at 28 and perhaps have both right and some left hand models available vs. trying to use a dual purpose.  You could talk to some from JOAD (junior Olympic archery program) and see what they recommend.  I believe there are a few coaches in Rochester. 

https://www.pointstothecross.com/our-classes/

Thanks. I also have info form S3DA coming. At the meeting I am sure we will be discussing class sizes and evaluating the needs. The programs would not be mixed so sets of varying sizes and poundage would work in each "group" (adult/high school, middle school, elementary). I'd love to be able to fund a program each year but trying to find equipment that is useful but not break the bank. 

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thanks. I also have info form S3DA coming. At the meeting I am sure we will be discussing class sizes and evaluating the needs. The programs would not be mixed so sets of varying sizes and poundage would work in each "group" (adult/high school, middle school, elementary). I'd love to be able to fund a program each year but trying to find equipment that is useful but not break the bank. 

Light 25" ilf risers with varying inexpensive limb sets might be the ticket.

• Like 1

Bob, isn't the bigger issue trying to get a school interested in the archery program, rather than what equipment is best? IDK, but assuming a more rural school district might be more inclined to consider this. Assuming you'll be fighting all the animal rights, anti-hunting soccer moms that could possibly dominate a school board. What do I know....

You probably have considered this, but you might have better luck convincing a local R&G club to put on regular seminars or simply allow their facilities to be used for this same archery intro program!??! 

Aside from all my pessimism, sounds like a great program and kudos to your branch of QDMA for even considering this campaign! Anything that encourages our youth to put down their cell phone or X-box and go outdoors would make them better adults. JMO...

Edited by nyslowhand

My local gun club does the s3da. My daughter shot for it for 1 year.  Its great because any type of bow can be used and any kid from any district can usually take part.   Theres another program i cant remember thats all recurve through the schools.  But i talked to the instructors when she shot and the reason for starting the S3DA over the other was because most schools wont allow other students to shoot at their school(insurance issues) thats if you can get a school to start a program like that. But you can have the S3DA at any gun club.  Age goes up to senior in high school with chance at alot of scholorships kids have to keep grades up.  Good luck and hope you find something.  If you need any help contacting someone for it let me know and i can get the head instructors info monday when i go to work monday.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 2:54 AM, nyslowhand said:

Bob, isn't the bigger issue trying to get a school interested in the archery program, rather than what equipment is best? IDK, but assuming a more rural school district might be more inclined to consider this. Assuming you'll be fighting all the animal rights, anti-hunting soccer moms that could possibly dominate a school board. What do I know....

You probably have considered this, but you might have better luck convincing a local R&G club to put on regular seminars or simply allow their facilities to be used for this same archery intro program!??! 

Aside from all my pessimism, sounds like a great program and kudos to your branch of QDMA for even considering this campaign! Anything that encourages our youth to put down their cell phone or X-box and go outdoors would make them better adults. JMO...

I am dealing with the Gates Chili schools right now and they are full bore on board to add to their PE curriculum. Hoping to add a school system each year around us. Once is is shown to be positive and work I expect it to be easier.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:45 PM, dbHunterNY said:

assuming you're continuing the other programs you're doing i'm not sure how you make time. lol

We are still doing F2F but this is an easy one. meet with some directors and supply them equipment. I am working on lining up an instructor certification that they can use for their staff and will offer support if they need it. 

• Like 2