Recommended Posts

Anyone have one of these? Seems like a pretty good idea for me hunting alone all the time. The ability to text home once in a while would be a nice bonus.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

 

Anyone have one of these? Seems like a pretty good idea for me hunting alone all the time. The ability to text home once in a while would be a nice bonus.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Never used it but heard good things. I've used "SPOT" when hunting remotely in canada. Send a signal once or twice that says i'm alive and ok.


"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Never used it but heard good things. I've used "SPOT" when hunting remotely in canada. Send a signal once or twice that says i'm alive and ok.

ditto. very good idea even if you're in great health and well prepared you just never know.


"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

 

Anyone have one of these? Seems like a pretty good idea for me hunting alone all the time. The ability to text home once in a while would be a nice bonus.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

the way you travel through the Dacks for miles - its a great idea! Just for piece of mind for you and the family.  

Went on a hike in to a trout lake with some buddies in the dacks.  One guy gets us all together for a group photo, then he says - "there thats for the 48 hours story on the last time they were all seen together ...." lol 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have owned and used several Garmin products and all have been good performers and reliable. I have never owned or operated a "Reach" but after reading about it believe it would be a great product for the andirondack's where as you well know; cell phone coverage can be spotty at best.

Just pack some extra batteries and you should be good to go. Good idea by the way.:good: One can never be to prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on purchasing an in-reach mini for my Idaho Elk trip in September.  I plan on utilizing their app on my iPhone to text back home.  I've read nothing but good things on it.  Hopefully it performs as well as they say it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"goosifer" has one,but I don't think he's used it yet. I'm still looking into which model to get there's quit a few to choose from. I'm all about the gps and this is just an added bonus.I already have the Garmin Colorado and never had an issue with it. For $30 a month it's a great piece of mind.I'm going to set it up with a family member with a quick text 'All's ok" at a set time.If the SHTF i'll lock down and hit the S.O.s button and wait it out. With the way you hunt I say get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hijacking this thread!!!

I'm about to pick up the garmin gpsmap 66i it's a gps plus has the s.o.s feature.I figured i'm probably going to spend the rest of my life hunting,fishing and exploring the ADK's,so it would be a great peace of mind to have.I've been communicating back and forth with garmin and it seems like the right unit for me.The only issue I have is the internal battery it last 35 hours or 200 hours in expedition mode.More then enough to get me through a day trip.It also burns more the more you text with it.Most of the reviewers use a solar panel to recharge in the field.This is not something i'd want to do at all. I'm looking for info on those power packs.I had a cheapie from Walmart it only lasted a year then wouldn't charge anymore.Anyone have any experience with these power packs?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/handheld-gps-accessories/handheld-gps/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/garmin-gpsmap-i/3354088.uts?slotId=1

btw all the inreaches have internal batteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rachunter said:

Hijacking this thread!!!

I'm about to pick up the garmin gpsmap 66i it's a gps plus has the s.o.s feature.I figured i'm probably going to spend the rest of my life hunting,fishing and exploring the ADK's,so it would be a great peace of mind to have.I've been communicating back and forth with garmin and it seems like the right unit for me.The only issue I have is the internal battery it last 35 hours or 200 hours in expedition mode.More then enough to get me through a day trip.It also burns more the more you text with it.Most of the reviewers use a solar panel to recharge in the field.This is not something i'd want to do at all. I'm looking for info on those power packs.I had a cheapie from Walmart it only lasted a year then wouldn't charge anymore.Anyone have any experience with these power packs?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/handheld-gps-accessories/handheld-gps/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/garmin-gpsmap-i/3354088.uts?slotId=1

btw all the inreaches have internal batteries.

Can it be charged by USB? If so, get something like this . Figure out the size of the internal battery in mAh, and size the external battery appropriately. Another way to go is to get a portable car battery charger which also has a USB port. Something like this.

In terms of experience, I have a couple and they still hold a charge. Maybe you just had a dud, or it needs to be recharged occasionally so that it doesn't go to zero.

 

Edited by goosifer
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hijacking this thread!!!
I'm about to pick up the garmin gpsmap 66i it's a gps plus has the s.o.s feature.I figured i'm probably going to spend the rest of my life hunting,fishing and exploring the ADK's,so it would be a great peace of mind to have.I've been communicating back and forth with garmin and it seems like the right unit for me.The only issue I have is the internal battery it last 35 hours or 200 hours in expedition mode.More then enough to get me through a day trip.It also burns more the more you text with it.Most of the reviewers use a solar panel to recharge in the field.This is not something i'd want to do at all. I'm looking for info on those power packs.I had a cheapie from Walmart it only lasted a year then wouldn't charge anymore.Anyone have any experience with these power packs?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/handheld-gps-accessories/handheld-gps/pc/104791680/c/104729580/sc/104373180/garmin-gpsmap-i/3354088.uts?slotId=1
btw all the inreaches have internal batteries.

The anker’s are very well liked. I used one ice fishing and it works awesome!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.