Which wildlife management area has the best hunting when hunting public land ?

Hunter007

Near NYC over the past 30 years  I have driven up to 5 even 6 hours away to hunt but I can't do that to many times a year especially when hunting alone .
Usually I stick to 3n 3s and 3j 
I may try my luck in the adks 5H again this year for a day or two if I get a chance to get up there .just because I like those huge wild areas not because I think it's the greatest hunting up there . Usually you find better hunting near farms and  nice neighborhoods  but I rather hunt the  wild  open spaces  when I can just hard for me to get away for to long .

Huge good tracts in 7R and S
  • Like 1

The forest rehabilitation program is still functioning because there is still a need to balance the herd within “bow only” 3S areas many of which are private and untouchable.

DEP has numerous lands available but leg work is required (imagine a google search would provide some info) Many of them are no where near the management programs that are “hunted out”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The forest rehabilitation program is still functioning because there is still a need to balance the herd within “bow only” 3S areas many of which are private and untouchable.

DEP has numerous lands available but leg work is required (imagine a google search would provide some info) Many of them are no where near the management programs that are “hunted out”

As we all know stormy likes to complain and make excuses for his lack of ability . My two best scoring NY bucks came from DEP land. The funny thing is I had to drive 3+ hours SOUTH “toward the city” to get to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

DEP has numerous lands available but leg work is required (imagine a google search would provide some info) Many of them are no where near the management programs that are “hunted out”emoji23.png

I don't hunt from a tree stands anymore  and know every  place there is to hunt in Westchester.   I only still hunt now sometimes I bring a blind but I don't leave them  it's hard hunting that way .

Not interested in getting up a tree stand at  3am  just so I can beat the next guy to those spots for a deer  anymore . 

Edited by Hunter007

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

As we all know stormy likes to complain and make excuses for his lack of ability . My two best scoring NY bucks came from DEP land. The funny thing is I had to drive 3+ hours SOUTH “toward the city” to get to them.

You live in the country that goes with out saying you are going to be better hunter .my father grew up on a farm was is better hunter then me ,I really just go  to get into the outdoors  away from city  don't take it seriously anymore I don't need the meat .  

20190928_084635.jpg

(make excuses for his lack of ability )

only ability I don't have anymore  is the ability to get up at 3an to site in a tree stand all day long anymore :)

I only do still hunting stalk hunts now . 

Edited by Hunter007

I think still hunting is legal on DEP land. So is bird watching and butterfly catching if hunting isn’t your thing anymore and you just want to be in the woods. Those can be done in Central Park or even in your own neighborhood...I’ve hunted this program that consolidates 75-120 hunters on 5 properties for 6 years and only once had to change my plans because someone was in one of “my spots” - no big deal - moved to another spot that I SCOUTED ahead of
Time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I think still hunting is legal on DEP land. So is bird watching and butterfly catching if hunting isn’t your thing anymore and you just want to be in the woods. Those can be done in Central Park or even in your own neighborhood...I’ve hunted this program that consolidates 75-120 hunters on 5 properties for 6 years and only once had to change my plans because someone was in one of “my spots” - no big deal - moved to another spot that I SCOUTED ahead of
Time

No ground hunting  only climbers  and having to hunt  so many hours and only certain hours  is Not for me . 

I rather hunt dep or state land father up state .

Edited by Hunter007

I see references to DEP land...what is that? Is DEC what is meant (Dept. of Env. Conservation)?

New York has skads of land available to hunt, be it state forest, DEC Game Management Areas or the Finger Lakes National Forest, not to mention county owned forest lands. Quality of hunting is like an ice cream flavor....everyone has their own favorites. I would visit the regional DEC office for an area you are likely to hunt, and get brochures for the areas offerings. I did that when i started bird hunting in Jefferson County and surrounding areas. They sent me packing with enough matereals on different DEC lands that I still havent been to them all. The Finger Lakes National Forest also has a full time staffed office that is worth a visit, and they have fantastic maps, showing land use, type of forest /game cover, etc. Foot work is what shows you what is best. One good week end of hunting equals at least one good week end of scouting put in before. 

In the spring, summer and fall, nothing I enjoy more than taking my motorcycle on a cruise to explore new areas. I just pack a lunch and a couople water bottles in a light day pack, I admit my smart phone gps helps alot! In the winter, small game hunting is another great way to scout new areas. There is never a short cut for getting out in the woods.

16 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I see references to DEP land...what is that? Is DEC what is meant (Dept. of Env. Conservation)?

New York has skads of land available to hunt, be it state forest, DEC Game Management Areas or the Finger Lakes National Forest, not to mention county owned forest lands. Quality of hunting is like an ice cream flavor....everyone has their own favorites. I would visit the regional DEC office for an area you are likely to hunt, and get brochures for the areas offerings. I did that when i started bird hunting in Jefferson County and surrounding areas. They sent me packing with enough matereals on different DEC lands that I still havent been to them all. The Finger Lakes National Forest also has a full time staffed office that is worth a visit, and they have fantastic maps, showing land use, type of forest /game cover, etc. Foot work is what shows you what is best. One good week end of hunting equals at least one good week end of scouting put in before. 

In the spring, summer and fall, nothing I enjoy more than taking my motorcycle on a cruise to explore new areas. I just pack a lunch and a couople water bottles in a light day pack, I admit my smart phone gps helps alot! In the winter, small game hunting is another great way to scout new areas. There is never a short cut for getting out in the woods.

Reservoir land 

No ground hunting  only climbers  and having to hunt  so many hours and only certain hours  is Not for me . 

Ugggg...DEP (Dept of environmental protection) is different than DEC (not exactly sure the difference in roles) and DEP is NOT the management program.

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Ugggg...DEP (Dept of environmental protection) is different than DEC (not exactly sure the difference in roles) and DEP is NOT the management program.

I know that  that program is by Westchester parks  . I have the pdf someplace . 

You live in the country that goes with out saying you are going to be better hunter .my father grew up on a farm was is better hunter then me ,I really just go  to get into the outdoors  away from city  don't take it seriously anymore I don't need the meat .  

20190928_084635.thumb.jpg.976d09607280c1f52e8db436fe66b211.jpg
(make excuses for his lack of ability )
only ability I don't have anymore  is the ability to get up at 3an to site in a tree stand all day long anymore
I only do still hunting stalk hunts now . 

If you just like getting outdoors why do you care where the best hunting is, seems contradictory!

I don’t remember the last deer I killed from a tree stand last 10+ years have been all “stalking, Still hunting and tracking, so again more excuses!

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you just like getting outdoors why do you care where the best hunting is, seems contradictory!

I don’t remember the last deer I killed from a tree stand last 10+ years have been all “stalking, Still hunting and tracking, so again more excuses!

For the Same reason guys who play golf once in awhile like to know what are the  best golf courses in the country even if they are never going to get to them I guess   it still interest me some what  I guess,  just not to the point I'm going to go through all the stuff  I used to when I was younger with the multiple tree  stands and lots of planning and getting up crazy early to beat people to the woods  and so on .

There is DEP land in Westchester you asked what wmu has best public hunting we told you

No really lol 

Of course I know that

If that's true that's not saying much

There’s only 6 or 7 Westchester DEP spots I believe. Try em all. They are bow only for deer. Then there’s all the parks programs too in Westchester.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

There’s only 6 or 7 Westchester DEP spots I believe. Try em all. They are bow only for deer. Then there’s all the parks programs too in Westchester.

Seriously you have no clue  i know every place in Westchester and Putnam don't no why you think i wouldn't no them all since I  been hunting here longer then you. what ever you read you misread it obviously. 

I ask about best in state not in my back yard . 

Edited by Hunter007