Took a shot

First-light

13 hours ago, First-light said:

In the end I think my shot was a bit forward and high. Entering above the shoulder but catching the other blade. No exit. The deer ran off and only when it stopped a few drips of blood cause the arrow is still in him. The angle was steep at 12 yards. I think that deer still has the arrow in him. He was a big boy but I don't know if he could live with the arrow like that. Sucks, it happens, I looked until exhaustion. 

FIIK0033.jpg

My two scents from the photo is that the blood dripped straight down, evidence that the buck was standing there and not running, or the blood would have shown spatter trails...showing direction. The tiny amount of blood supports the theory of a low leg hit, along with the baseball bat sound. I hit a buck low in the leg many years ago and it was tagged the next year during shotgun season with the broadhead in its leg bone healed over. 

• Like 2

baseball bat sound can be either hitting bone or wood near the deer. bone not necessarily a bad hit either. lung blood doesn't always look pink. it'll have small bubbles much of the time though. that kind of looks like it. without being there harder to say. hopefully the deer will make it.

i agree i've had perfect hits and sometimes it takes a little time to start bleeding. hair and everything keeps it from hitting the ground sooner. other times it's like you sprayed red weed killer.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1