Tioga boar ranch

wooly

Not to open a can of worms here about canned hunts but what better critter to pen in. Anyone ever go here to kill a pig?

I've heard mixed reviews of the experience but believe this is a hunt/harvest I may enjoy with the bow one day close to home. :-\

Got a name for it WNYbuckhunter?

I'll admit, the only thing holding me back from Tioga was the price increase the past few years or I'd have booked already. I suppose if we don't have hogs to hunt here I'll need to pay the piper for my "exotic hunt", but it's the price I'm willing to pay if they can offer a true hunt feel.

Just something that doesn't feel entirely right to me yet about Tioga even though I've talked to them at the outdoors shows....I just can't put my finger on it....

Maybe just the negative reviews waying on my mind. :-\

Just something that doesn't feel entirely right to me yet about Tioga even though I've talked to them at the outdoors shows....I just can't put my finger on it....

Maybe just the negative reviews waying on my mind. :-\

Drive on over someday and just visit... I did, and now I'm looking into the Island hunt (widowmaker.com).  Driving to the main 'lodge' at Tioga is spooky... you get to see 'wild' game in high-fence pens eating processed food watching you drive by. 

I can't imagine anyone paying big bucks to shoot an elk or buffalo through a fence, or walking [herding] it to a corner of an enclosure to arrow it.  I understand the hogs have a large area to roam, and it's not really easy to harvest one.  Although I don't know of anyone who went hog hunting there that came home empty handed,

I know there's a business for these types of hunts and a lot of people return year after year to hunt there (my nephew being one).  It's just not my cup of tea.

Don't let the photos on the Island hunts website fool you.  Some of the pigs that are shot on that island look no wilder than the ones in farmer Joe's pen.  I have attached a photo my uncle sent me of a couple of pigs taken on that Island this past winter by some friends of his.  They surely don't look like wild Russian boar to me!!  I would never hunt in either of these operations.

post-724-131455309888_thumb.jpg

Interesting looking "wild boars" ...... lol. That's the main reason I never went to one of these places. It's hard to figure out which ones are going to make you feel like you are hunting in a barnyard.

Doc

Oh come on guys, those arent boars, they are wild hogs. Their website shows they have both. When you go to one of these places, you shouldnt think that its a natural style hunt, you are hunting exotic animals after all. I have no problem going to these places, they are what they are and I think it would be a fun shoot with plenty of table fare as the pay off.  :)

Do I think they are real hunting? No.

Oh come on guys, those arent boars, they are wild hogs. Their website shows they have both. When you go to one of these places, you shouldnt think that its a natural style hunt, you are hunting exotic animals after all. I have no problem going to these places, they are what they are and I think it would be a fun shoot with plenty of table fare as the pay off.  :D

Well, if you want a pig that looks like Old McDonald's farm pig, then just go to Old McDonald's farm and pay him to let the pig out of the pen and shoot him right there.  I'm sure it would cost you a lot less and you wouldn't need to drive all the way to PA for the shot.  Old McDonald might even sing his song for you.  An oink, oink, here and an oink, oink there.  E-I-E-I OOOOOH!    ;D  Just pulling your leg here, but I would think a hunter would at least want to shoot an animal that looks somewhat like the real thing.

Well, I honestly have never gone to one of these places, and I guess I am picturing the worst ..... lol. I must say that if the animals I'm hunting don't even look like the wild variety, and the hunt is even a bit bogus, I can't figure out why I would want to go and spend exhorbitant amounts of money for pork that I could buy cheaper from a farmer. Really ...... what's the point.

Those two little piggies in the back of that truck would look real good as a nice head mounts on the wall. I can picture them now next to the stuffed Rhode Island red chicken on the end table and the holstein shoulder mount.

Maybe you could rent the new hog game call .... you know, the one that goes "Soooey - Soooey" when you blow on it. ;D  Maybe you could take out the one with the collar around it's neck, laying over next to feeding trough if you can figure out how to get an arrow through that welded wire fence.

Ok, so now I'm getting a bit carried away. However, on a serious note, I could be completely wrong about the whole set-up, but I really don't believe it would be anything that I would be interested in. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it, but it just isn't my thing. I just can't warm up to hunting anything that comes running waggling its tail when it's called ...... SORRY! ..... Couldn't help myself ..... just kidding!!

Doc

Oh come on guys, those arent boars, they are wild hogs. Their website shows they have both. When you go to one of these places, you shouldnt think that its a natural style hunt, you are hunting exotic animals after all. I have no problem going to these places, they are what they are and I think it would be a fun shoot with plenty of table fare as the pay off.  :)

Well, if you want a pig that looks like Old McDonald's farm pig, then just go to Old McDonald's farm and pay him to let the pig out of the pen and shoot him right there.  I'm sure it would cost you a lot less and you wouldn't need to drive all the way to PA for the shot.  Old McDonald might even sing his song for you.  An oink, oink, here and an oink, oink there.  E-I-E-I OOOOOH!    ;D  Just pulling your leg here, but I would think a hunter would at least want to shoot an animal that looks somewhat like the real thing.

They look exactly like wild hogs. LOL

Either way, the way I look at these places is that its just something different, and Id kinda rather go kill the pork myself rather than buy it from the grocery store. Where are you gonna buy a full pig for $350?  :)

Really, I dont see $350 as exorbitant, now if youre talking what some of the fanced ranches ask for elk or deer, etc, then yes, but not in this case. Oh, and its not really hunting, I see it as a shoot.

Wow- I think I'd probably turn the truck around and go to the zoo to take pictures of "wild animals" instead.

Those barn pigs can get pretty testy too. I had two slaughter pigs we raised from 40lb'ers that got to 250 by harvest. Always thought about slipping an arrow in them nasty suckers when the time came but the butcher took care of dispatching them while I was at work. Some mean SOB's but I think I'd be a little embarrased to show anyone my field photos of the pink Pa. piggy I payed to pursue. :-[

It all tastes the same lol.

That's something I never have gotten a good clear answer on. There seems to be a preference of wild sows over wild boars when it comes to taste. Also, I have heard that wild pig is not as good as grain fattened domestic hogs.

Is there anybody here in this forum that has had first hand experience in eating wild pigs that could offer some opinions on taste differences?

Is there a significant difference in the quality of taste between the sows and the boars?

Is there a significant difference in taste between wild pigs and domestic pigs?

And, one last question, is there much difference in taste between Russian boars and the other smaller varieties of feral hogs? They don't even look like the same kind of animal .... lol.

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

It all tastes the same lol.

That's something I never have gotten a good clear answer on. There seems to be a preference of wild sows over wild boars when it comes to taste. Also, I have heard that wild pig is not as good as grain fattened domestic hogs.

Is there anybody here in this forum that has had first hand experience in eating wild pigs that could offer some opinions on taste differences?

Is there a significant difference in the quality of taste between the sows and the boars?

Is there a significant difference in taste between wild pigs and domestic pigs?

And, one last question, is there much difference in taste between Russian boars and the other smaller varieties of feral hogs? They don't even look like the same kind of animal .... lol.

Doc

I've killed real wild hogs in Texas, Florida, & Georgia. They do taste a lot like a farm yard pig, the only difference being the loins & hams are much smaller & the meat's a little redder.

Like any animal, it all depends on their diet. A wild hog foraging on grass & wild onions in a swamp isn't going to taste as good as a hog that's been raiding cornfields.

If you want to take a real Russian Boar, the place to go is Wild Hill Preserve in Fairlee, Vermont.  Check out the website.

Bill Richter runs a true class operation, and has about 2700 acres surrounded by one fence.  He ain't the cheapest game around, but I think it is well worth the price.  Been there three times, and am ready for trip #4.

I just heard on the TV that pork prices are up and going higher ..... Faster than other kinds of meat.

Sounds like it might make some sense to forget about these little outfits here in the northeast and head for the deep south with a good sized trailer, and fill it up with some of the hogs they have running all over the place down there. might even be able to sell some of that meat back here and re-coup your costs ..... lol.

Is that legal???

Doc

I have heard mixed reviews about Tioga.  I wouldn't go there because I believe in fair chase and not hunting animals that are caged in.

If I were going to do a hog hunt I would go down to Florida, Texas, or even Alabama where there are a lot of places to do fair chase.

Id rather fly to another country to hunt an exotic than go to a cage and shoot one for a lot of money.