Need some advice on 2009 Xterra

halfnelson

My wife's car, a 2009 Xterra with 175K miles on it is in good shape, body is perfect.  We have had 2 Xterras and loved them.  Since they are no longer made, would it be practical to have a new transmission installed, and whatever else?  Or would it be a pipe dream?  What would be approx cost to have it all done if we decided to do it?  The cost of a 5 year old one with low mileage is above 20K, and if I'm putting out that much, I'd buy something else.

Thanks for the input,

Jeff

Is the trans going?  Have you gotten an estimate on fixing it?

When a vehicle's mileage gets up that high, many things are going to need repair.  If you can put up with a lot of unreliability for awhile and can budget the repair costs over that period of time, you can make it last a few more years, but after that, it goes downhill faster than you can fix it.

At that point if you want to keep it, you need to take it off the road and do a complete frame off restoration.  That takes time and a lot of money, but in the end you wind up with a classic that will go up in value if not used too much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rattler said:

Is the trans going?  Have you gotten an estimate on fixing it?

When a vehicle's mileage gets up that high, many things are going to need repair.  If you can put up with a lot of unreliability for awhile and can budget the repair costs over that period of time, you can make it last a few more years, but after that, it goes downhill faster than you can fix it.

At that point if you want to keep it, you need to take it off the road and do a complete frame off restoration.  That takes time and a lot of money, but in the end you wind up with a classic that will go up in value if not used too much.

That's what I was thinking...thanks everyone for replies...just wishful thinking.  The rig runs great- no problems, I was just thinkin

Tough decision. Quick check on Edmunds shows $5-6k value for similar mileage (higher for lower mileage and southern state origin). Makes it tough to put $2k into a 5k vehicle.

If it were me, I'd try what Rob suggested and if the tranny really was shot - and is drivable - I'd drive it right to a dealer and use the $2k for a down payment along with your trade. A dealer won't look too close at it as they'll surely wholesale it off being 10+ years old. The good body will work in your favor on that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, halfnelson said:

That's what I was thinking...thanks everyone for replies...just wishful thinking.  The rig runs great- no problems, I was just thinkin

Hey, if you take care of the normal maintenance and minor repairs as they come up, you may get 300K out of it.  That's what I'd be shooting for.

• Like 1

I know what u mean about keeping it , my son has a 2012 pro-4x. 65 k miles very capable off road machine. When we hunt in any off road access we take the Xterra. My Silverado hauls gear, deer and supplies. But that Nissan can fit narrow trails the pickups can’t and is perfect for our needs. Good luck not sure I’d put too much into an older one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1